Deep Report Panama City 3-20-10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PatMyGreen

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Panama City Beach, Florida, United States
We went out about 42 miles SSW of the Jetties yesterday for some deep reef scouting and had some of the best dives in a long time. We had flat seas nearly the whole way out and I called dibs on the first drop on what I deemed to be good "lobstery" looking hardbottom.

As the descent down the marker line past 50' vis went from 50 feet to to about 10 feet. This trend did not make me feel particularly great since I knew the bottom was 130-150'!!! Fortunately the vis opened back up under 80' and although darker, it was actually very nearly 60 feet of horizontal vis. The reef opened up below me and I found that the marker weight was about 10 feet away from two nice spiny lobsters. Lobster I spent the next few minutes coaxing out of their holes and into my lobster bag! I worked my way up the 15' ledge towards the shallow side and found another lobster, the biggest of the three, and he also hopped in my bag after some coaxing. As I crested the ledge (feeling really good about my dinner prospects) I found a 7' iron anchor laying exposed in the sand! Out of bottom time I had to go on up but I made a really good mental note of its location since vis was so good and I think I will be back for it 1 day soon!

Dive 2 was in what shall forever be known in my GPS as "OMG+++" and it was the most extreme amount of larger snappers in one place I have ever seen. red snappers from 20-30# (really, no exaggeration) and mangrove snappers over 10# were literal obscuring the 60' vis to less than 20' at times. A massive sea turtle (I'm no good on turtle species ID) joined us hovering over the scene in wonder from about 2' away for nearly a full minute.

Dive 3 was on a spot we have had for awhile (and a favorite) unlike these new spots we were checking out. Its a 30' limestone cliff in a bowl shape with a massive overhang that goes back into a cavern that larger groupers (goliaths, gags and blacks) often call home. Vis was less here, more like 25' Speadefish and jacks blocked our view of everything as we descended onto the top of the bowl and encircled us in a lazy tornado of aquatic life. I noticed a large 10' or so shark that most closely resembled a lemon shark but it moved out into the sand and deeper water before I could get a positive ID. Since this was drop 3 in more than 130' time was in short supply so I didn't give chase.

Of course the weather had deteriorated topside as the day progressed and was blowing pretty rough and we got to enjoy 3-5 tight period chop for all 40+ miles back but after the hot water shower and change of clothes. The gang just sat back and told their respective stories for the day. We got to the dock right at Sunset and enjoyed a lobster and mangrove snapper dinner at my place.

FYI temp was 62*F all day top to bottom and read 59-62 on the bottom machine the whole ride out. Thats alot colder than is the norm for out there even in the coldest days of Winter. Perfect Day off from working in a dive shop and finally doing some fun diving again!

Also I'm trying to get my male modeling career off the ground. I think the guys were calling this pose the "Blue Steel"

Attachments

• Lobster Day.jpg
    Lobster Day.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 95
  • super sexy pat.jpg
    super sexy pat.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG00054-20100320-1041.jpg
    IMG00054-20100320-1041.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Great report! Those are some nice looking lobsters... I'm going to have to start making the drive to panama city to do some diving with you!

Now that's what I call a good haul! Great find on the anchor too. I'm super-jealous of those snapper and lobster.

Personally, I thought that was the "La Tigre'" pose :cool2:

Great report, is that third spot a submarine spring by any chance?

No, there are alot of "caves" , caverns, deep overhangs and cracks that go plenty deep into the rock out there but there is no flow coming out of any of them. We have never penetrated deeper than 30' into the big ones which is where there is a bend and you loose sight of the opening. (This is a different site than I described above) Then entrance is at 149' and it gets slightly deeper from there before its too hairy for me to play. I know of 4 sites out there with "caves" in them but I tend to avoid overhead environments when doing multiple deep deco dives during a day.

Did I mention there are really really big big fish in there and its a very very confined place?

Great report, is that third spot a submarine spring by any chance?

No, there are alot of "caves" , caverns, deep overhangs and cracks that go plenty deep into the rock out there but there is no flow coming out of any of them. We have never penetrated deeper than 30' into the big ones which is where there is a bend and you loose sight of the opening. (This is a different site than I described above) Then entrance is at 149' and it gets slightly deeper from there before its too hairy for me to play. I know of 4 sites out there with "caves" in them but I tend to avoid overhead environments when doing multiple deep deco dives during a day.

Did I mention there are really really big big fish in there and its a very very confined place?

THESE are the types of caves/caverns that could get me drinking the cool-aid, but at 149' I think I'd have to just hand my camera to one of you guys and settle for your war stories.

There were supposed to be "caves" on the Dutch Banks, but I never could find structure on my bottom machine when I looked at those spots (probably covered in sand from hurricanes). A buddy has found some 15ft overhangs out on the Trysler Grounds, but I've yet to torture or bribe the numbers out of him.

Those could be really interesting to play around in... Not all springs still flow, some will be tidally affected, and some simply won't have enough flow to be apparent.

I'd be interested in exploring the caves a bit further.

I've run across some big flatheads out in some of the river cave, some up to 100lbs :) red glowing eyes 16" apart staring back at you with bones laying all over the place. I can see where some people might get a bit ancy at these kinda situations for sure :D

I'm with Hetland, when you you go would you mind terribly taking some pictures for me? On the one we call "Cave Site" the fish we hunt are in the 100# range the ones were alittle jumpy about are the 500-800# goliaths that may want to come out of the tunnel we are now obstructing. Getting that low frequency grunt at close range in a silted out cave while narced out of your mind and holding onto a hard won (so far) jack, snapper or grouper..... well I tempt fate enough! Obviously you would be entering in there alittle different than we would and I'd be very interested in what you find. You can bet your butt you'd have a mountain of deco though.

I'm still on cloud nine that I successfully went lobstering without getting eaten by eels again.

150' isn't too bad for deco(we're talking about Vortex Spring depths here LOL).

What would it cost to get a trip out there from you? Sounds a bit out of the range for my 10' zodiac?

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom