Deep outdoor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by large_diver
It catches your attention......but does it leave a positive impression?

OH!...Are they supposed to do that too?:wink:

Really, I agree with your line of thought, but there are so many marketing people out there (not just scuba) that miss that part. (i.e. Levi's marketing fiasco 3-4 years ago).

Thanks,
kd4rfa

Originally posted by tombiowami
Why would a tech oriented company advertise someone doing a flip off the bridge of the dive boat?

Tommy

When first I saw it I thought "That's funny"

Then "That's cute"

Then "Awww, who would do that?"

Then "OK, If I had the DM push my back and I jumped real high....."

It is a neat picture. (and a new PADI Specialty :D)

Their website is pretty lame. They don't seem to have any info. on their products... just a dealer listing and some company contact info.:confused:

I was on their site less than a week ago and they have a brochure. It's gone now and yes, only a horribly bland page remains.

Roak

They had a booth at Beneath the Sea this year and it was pretty impressive. I was looking at the Transpac II and compared it to their stuff and OMS. I ended up getting a really good deal on the TP II from a LDS who was at the show so I didn't look too hard at the Deep Outdoors stuff, but it appeared to be well thought out, good materials and construction. I am a bit conservitive so I stayed with someone I knew.

Ty

So lots of people have seen their gear at shows, but has anyone actually *bought* any DO equipment? Or actually seen it on the shelf in a shop? This is why I stated that I was worried about them having an extensive inventory of vaporware.

Roak

My point, (and I am coming from a purely rec standpoint now, but headed in a more tech direction)

was the huge gulf in what they are selling and promoting. Trying to sell safe tech oriented gear but promoting pretty bizarre behavior. I see plenty of odd configurations (octos, consoles dragging the coral) in most dive mag ads, seemed strange on this one.

Most of my stuff is from Halcyon and I would be very, very shocked to see one of their "tech" ads showing something like this.

Is someone who is seriously in the market for tech gear going to go buy this gear because of a flashy ad? My take is that they are going for the rec diver who thinks tech diving is the "extreme" thing to do.

How about bungee diving!

Tommy

One thing I learned about advertising pretty quickly when I opened my own business was that no matter what you do, someone will whine and complain about the ad - especially if you try to use a little humor.
My initial reaction to the DO ad was "HA! Look at that.. har, har, har, chuckle... hey Kat, look at this ad... pretty cute, eh?"
-----------------------------
That's a "Good ad."
Rick

I just went through three different dive magazines and I am amazed at how many octos and consoles are dangling in the advertisements. I had never thought about things like that until reading this thread.

What are we teaching whom?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom