Deep Dixie Divers Kayak Club

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jhayes75

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have been playing with the Idea of learning to dive from a Kayak and I have been researching this for a couple of weeks now. Monday I went to my LDS and he just happen to inform me that is expanding his shop and is going to stock kayaks. coincident or destiny I am willing to try it. Of course at this time I would have to rent one until I save up for decked out kayak. They sell GPS and Fish finder mounts for those offshore trips. Fishing Kayaks, Diving Kayaks, Sit-on-top Kayaks, X-Wing

I think it would be pretty neat to just paddle out into the gulf and explore. I would like to know how much interest is out there in our area and if there is, form some sort of club. Thoughts, input, suggestions. Is there anything worth diving off the coast of florida within a couple of miles to justify the cost of a Kayak?

There is stuff in Destin that is probably within Kayak-distance, but you can save a bit of money by paying my mechanic a few hundred bucks to do the yearly service on my boat (I also need a part replaced, but that might put you back into Kayak-buying range :wink:

Keep in mind that $500 spent on a Yak will get you 6.25 charter trips in Panama City (not including tip)

Keep in mind that $500 spent on a Yak will get you 6.25 charter trips in Panama City (not including tip)

The kayak I am looking at is just over $1000.00. It's not the cost thats important here, it's the adventure.

Adventure is what its worth, and eventually, you'll get your kayaks expense paid for in trips and still have that mode of transportation available to you. I say go for it.

I have a buddy who's dived out of a Ocean Kayak, I think it was a Prowler, but can't be sure. It worked great for him and I was honestly a bit envious until I got an inflatable with a motor.

That does sound pretty good. When I dropped a tank off to rob the other day he mentioned something about starting to sell kayaks.

Rent or borrow a few before you buy. There are a lot of different manufactures out there, with different lay outs. Buying used is a option too. I have a Ride 135 by Wilderness paid well under a grand for it. Great for diving and fishing. Good upper body exercise, Get to dive those spots you can't or don't want to swim to. Just paddling around finding new spots with a depth finder to dive and checking them out is a real adventure. Even up here in the dirty Georgia waters, I have blast with mine. I'm planing on taking a week off this summer and heading to Florida with my kayak for some fun.

Attachments

• Copy of DSC01569.jpg
    Copy of DSC01569.jpg
    436.8 KB · Views: 109
Rent or borrow a few before you buy. There are a lot of different manufactures out there, with different lay outs. Buying used is a option too. I have a Ride 135 by Wilderness paid well under a grand for it. Great for diving and fishing. Good upper body exercise, Get to dive those spots you can't or don't want to swim to. Just paddling around finding new spots with a depth finder to dive and checking them out is a real adventure. Even up here in the dirty Georgia waters, I have blast with mine. I'm planing on taking a week off this summer and heading to Florida with my kayak for some fun.

That is a really nice setup you got there.

Please, please, please also buy a handheld VHF radio like this one Icom M36 VHF Marine Radio or even better, this one Standard Horizon HX851S VHF/GPS DSC Radio before you go offshore during the Summer. A number of my friends and I have been talking about getting into Kayak spearfishing (mostly freediving) as some of our favorite reefs are 3-4 miles from the beach.... Sea Grove Beach. Which is a long way from the Pass by boat. Mexico Beach also has some good shallow hunting spots, although the vis is usually much worse over there.

Please, please, please also buy a handheld VHF radio like this one Icom M36 VHF Marine Radio or even better, this one Standard Horizon HX851S VHF/GPS DSC Radio before you go offshore during the Summer. A number of my friends and I have been talking about getting into Kayak spearfishing (mostly freediving) as some of our favorite reefs are 3-4 miles from the beach.... Sea Grove Beach. Which is a long way from the Pass by boat. Mexico Beach also has some good shallow hunting spots, although the vis is usually much worse over there.

Yes, this is something I left out in my OP, but is something I would definitely have on board.

Is there anything worth diving off the coast of florida within a couple of miles to justify the cost of a Kayak?

USS Massachusetts is probably Kayak-able. It's SW of Ft. Pickens. Surf and boat traffic would both be major considerations, but it's a shallow dive, so you could Yak out, get an hour+ dive out of a tank, eat a sandwich, switch tanks, and get another dive in before returning. Tide is also a consideration. You want to go on neap days generally because of the current, but you need decently clear water for the viz. XRay is damn good at figuring the right time to dive it (100% record so far).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom