Deep diving with lavacore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Plan on dives 80 -100 ft where surface temperature in mid to high 80's. I was planning on using lavacore full suit and hood to minimize buoyancy vs a 3 mill suit. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you

I often wear a lava core shirt w/o hood and irikonji trunks for dives to 100m here in hawaii, so long as it's not the dead of "winter" and the dive is less than 2hrs. YMetabolicRateMV

Also not sure why you're concerned with managing the minimal buoyancy swing of a 3mm if you're capable of diving to 100'. I like it because there's no wrestling of neoprene.

Get some details on your site from a local or internet sites likge divebuddy.com. Some sites have thermoclines and can get a bit cold at depth. "Warm enough" is obviously very subjective. Most dives I've done lately I wear a 3mm shorty under my full lavacore and it works out just perfectly for 90-120 minute dives for me.

I was under the impression that lavacore would provide the equivalent of about 2mm of neoprene and it doesn't compress like neoprene.

I have worn it in Grand Cayman in December, a vest with skin under the vest, pants and a beanie with temps in the +/-80 degree range on bottom according to my computer. The dives were in the 50-60 min range, I did not get cold but others on the boat wore 5mm suits to be comfortable. I required about 2 lb less lead for this.

The part that's missing is the "where" and whether its prone to thermoclines. There are places where it's 80 degrees at the surface and at depth, there are others where it's 80 at the surface and in the 50s at depth. What do you consider comfortable and what are the anticipated temperatures at depth. Remember that you spend a very short amount of time in the shallows (in most cases) so you'd best be comfortable where you intend to dive.

So long as one isn't uncomfortable, being colder at depth has advantages from a decompression conservatism perspective. Though OP doesn't appear to be asking about diving that's going to implicate mandatory stops, so it's an academic point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom