Deep Diving on Nitrox question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My favorite dive operation on Cozumel (Aldora) routinely takes divers down into "Devil's Throat" using Nitrox 32. I recently dived this site and hit the first bar of deco on my computer. I would have preferred diving "Devil's Throat" using plain-old fashioned AIR, but in order to the keep everyone on the same profile...we had Nitrox.
Any opinions on this....?

Well.... Assuming that the depth is not an issue then keeping everyone on the same profile is a good idea.

R..

In Belize on the Aggressor III most of us used 32% for the week, but for the Blue Hole dive they provided 26%.

Yes, are you sure it was 32% might have been 28%. Did you analyze it yourself?

Last edited:
I would have preferred diving "Devil's Throat" using plain-old fashioned AIR, but in order to the keep everyone on the same profile...we had Nitrox.
Any opinions on this....?
Your choice of gas is your decision, not the group's decision.

If you wanted to use air instead of Nitrox, then you should have done so, no one can tell you otherwise.

Do not let other people dictate your choice of gas or drive profile, that's your responsibility.

And anyone who recommends EAN32 at 130 feet is someone who I would avoid.

Well.... Assuming that the depth is not an issue then keeping everyone on the same profile is a good idea.

R..
Yes, I believe that was Aldora's intention.

If you wanted to use air instead of Nitrox, then you should have done so, no one can tell you otherwise.

Do not let other people dictate your choice of gas or drive profile, that's your responsibility.

I expressed my desire to make that dive on AIR at the Aldora office the night before. Next morning the boat to "Devil's Throat",left without my gear on board. Aldora had switched me to another boat going somewhere else. This was my final dive day on Coz so I missed out on "Devil's Throat" on that trip.

Boats can decide whatever they want. No pink BCDs, no split fins, no doubles, no AIR, no deco, no knife, no gloves or WHATEVER they want to decide. Your decision is to not go on that boat.

Thank you for all the responses to my original question. To clarify,...I was merely seeking opinions regarding the safety of diving into this unusual structure at that depth using EAN. To their credit,Aldora makes an effort to know the limits of their diving guests. Aldora also caters to experienced AOW divers and tries to match them up onto specific boats whenever practical.That is why I chose them over the 80 or so other dive operators available on Cozumel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom