Deep diving in Subic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andibk

Contributor
Reaction score
From what I understand there is a airplane at 70 meters of depth in Subic Bay. I am thinking of coming over there for a couple weeks. Are there any other good spots deeper to dive and see something down to the 100 - 120 meter range?

andibk

hmm, been awhile since I've been back to Subic.

70m? guess it's not the the F4 phantom (44m). I vaguely recall Johan talking about a deeper bomber or jet. There is some bomber tail in <50m but I hear it's nothing too exciting.

If you're diving with Johan, he'll probably know most of the interesting deep stuff. Plus he's got the helium... :wink:

Dove the F4 that is in around 45-50 meters if my memory is correct. The tail to a airplane I dove on with Matt Caldwell and was looking for the wreck of the plane. That was in the same depth range. There is a bomber at 70 meters. I just talked to Johan and he has another wreck in 69 meters and another in 90 meters. The wreck at 90 meters needs to be found. Have a rough location but no one has been on it that I know of.
Maybe we will be the first////Time will tell.

Good reason for a hyperbaric chamber in operating condition.

andibk

Oh by the way there is a wall that gets deeper then 120 meters. I bet there are a bunch of sharks on that wall. I can only count the days.

andibk

well best of luck on your upcoming trip. Hope you come across some interesting stuff.

I remember when I was diving at Johan's, there were a couple of American retirees live in the Subic area who were chatting about buying a decent side scan sonar and having Johan tow that around to find some new wrecks. Wonder if they every got around to that considering how expensive a good side scan sonar is...

I do remember these guys. One owned a bar there in Barrio Barreto and also worked on the Freighters. I do not think they did get one at least since I was there last. When I was there we used Matt Caldwells and towed it around the bay for awhile. Matt did find the Tail of a airplane and I got a chance to dive on it.

andibk

All of this deep talk makes me want to find my asawa! ....wooHoo...oh yeah, come here gorgeous.

Waite till you see the moving of a ancient pottery wreck that I will try and post in the future. The wreck was at 60 meters of water. As you go down the descent line all you seen was pottery on the bottom. I guess there must have been about 10,000 pieces just laying there.:D
Luckily I have been able to do some work with the government in Training them mixed gas technical diving and rebreathers. This has allowed me to see alot of sites that others were not allowed to dive on.

andibk:

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 55
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom