Deep CESA Practice Okay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a retailer of said Back Up Sling Bottles, along with Pony Bottles, Spare Air, and lots of other cool stuff, I whole heartedly endorse a22Shady's suggestion to increase your self sufficiency with redundancy! Thank you sir!

Instead of doing 100' CESA, why not do a 15' swim to your buddy? He is right there with you, right?

Seems like a better idea to practice good buddy skills and air sharing techniques.

Somebody in the mentioned thread DID actually say they had done a CESA from 100 feet, but the post was deleted (edited) by the poster because there was some info within the same post that would have opened not only a can, but a lorry full of worms..

Yup, that would be me. I have done it. I know lots of Navy divers who were required to do it. My requirement was only necessary to maintain my life. No bailout, no buddy. And No, I didn't have a full breath of air. I sucked a breath out of my BC and headed for the surface.

Here's some food for thought (and some of those worms). What happens when you ascend faster than 60'/minute exhaling hard? Now if you don't know first hand, don't chime in because we don't want young divers getting the wrong idea.

Yup, that would be me. I have done it. I know lots of Navy divers who were required to do it. My requirement was only necessary to maintain my life. No bailout, no buddy. And No, I didn't have a full breath of air. I sucked a breath out of my BC and headed for the surface.

Here's some food for thought (and some of those worms). What happens when you ascend faster than 60'/minute exhaling hard? Now if you don't know first hand, don't chime in because we don't want young divers getting the wrong idea.

Pepends on your nitrogen saturation level before the manuver. Near NDL on repetitive dive then there may be issues IMO...

I've done it in a submarine escape tower (as have tens of thousands of others). I've also done it in open water. Back in the day as you moved up (or is it down) to each depth endorsement (30, 60, 100, 130, 150, 190) you performed a free assent from that depth, at 60 fpm.

Sounds like tempting fate...

I've done a lot of stupid things once and never again. Just because I lived through it the first time doesn't make it safe or wise.

The underlying point here, which seems to be repeatedly overlooked, is that there are better ways to do things. Do you still cut your lawn with a scythe? Or do you use a lawn mower? Come on...

Well, of course there are better ways of doing things. But my point on the original post and again on this post is this: If you are out of air and buddy is not available, do you sit down and accept your fate? No, and I'll say it again... It's a no brainer. You head for the surface. 99 out of 100 times, you'll make it. Is it something you want to get in the habit of? Of course not. But, if everything else fails you, like your brain, dive buddy, or bail-out, what choice do you have?

Depending on the direction of this topic, I had a link prepared of a sunken sub in 74m. 72 People ascended from the sunken sub. 29 of which were not submarinemen but rather dock workers hitching a ride. All 72 Men survived the ascent, 29 of which who had 0 training.

Unfortunately, I'm not on that computer today, so I don't have the link from this laptop. But I will find it later for you guys to read the article.

Okay, points all noted. Suppose I descend from the surface to 100 feet, then exhale, then begin my ascent while blowing bubbles at 60 feet per minute, with the reg held in my hand for just-in-case? Any problems?

Hi Mike,
Just curious, why would you take the reg out of your mouth instead of keeping it in and exhaling though it? Is this how you were taught to perform CESA, and if so what were the merits of taking the reg out of your mouth?

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom