Deep Blue - Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, i will strongly recomend Altons Dive shop, I had a really nice time, diving here. Thanks to all boat Capitains, Dive Masters, and Instructor . Really nice DOCK, ocean view, and every morning NORTH side trips .
thanks
eze
terrydarc:
We're going to Utila (again) next Feb. for a week or so to dive. Has anyone had experience + or - with Deep Blue? We got one very positive recommendation from a diver there at the time, while we were with Utila Dive Center, which was ok, good even.

But if we're gonna spend another week there, I'd like to do it with the primo dive center on the island, and don't tell me about the snobs at BICD. Can't afford it and am not impressed with what I saw while there. I hear they got two classes of people: those staying at the hotel (too many $$$) and those who walk in the front door. I'm sure that all drops away when you get below the waves, but I'm kinda anti-snobery and definitely averse to spending more than I have to.

Any other recommendations for dive centers is welcome. Thanks!
=Terry

I stayed at Deep Blue July 2004
See my signaure for a link to the trip report and the slideshow
I did 20 dives during the week I was there.
16 boats dives and 4 shore dives.

The shore diving from Deep Blue is pretty good.
It is at the Pretty Bush mooring with access to two other
moorings as well. When I go back, I plan on doing more
shore diving on these sites.

The reports gives a lot more details

With regard to paying this extra money, depends on how bad you want to see whalesharks.

Their boat captain Swinn and owner Steve know what they are doing as far as finding whalesharks. Steves stand on top of the boat in the hot sun the entire time looking for whale sharks. Swinn is constantly looking for them the whole time. I could not believe they did not get tired of looking for them
during that boat ride. I went to sleep or just drank water. They use the the boat ride to the north side to look for whale sharks so the time going to the north side diving is spent profitably. We swam with dolphins on one of these boat rides as well.

If a whale shark can be found, they will find them.
We swim with a whale shark twice in July. You are not
suppose to see them in July.

I would go to Deep Blue anytime, the people there are fantastic, i did my divemaster with them and had a great time, the whole approach was fun, but also very professional, they have some great staff.

John

Back
Top Bottom