Deep 6 Service Clinic In / Around DC Dive Show?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Referencing the set of tools posted I have a few questions;

How imperative is it to use a torque wrench? I mean how many LDS actually use one (I get it has to be in the manual), but in real life?

Do we really need 3 spanner wrenches? Or is it you use 2 (of different sizes) and the 3rd only comes in 1% of the time when your reg is really gunked up?
I would be shocked if a legit DS is not using a proper tq wrench

How imperative is it to use a torque wrench? I mean how many LDS actually use one (I get it has to be in the manual), but in real life?

The components are meant to be torqued to the values stated. Servicing to manufacturer specifications is a requirement for providing service to increase reliability and standardized outcomes. So the official stance is 'yes, you need to use a torque wrench'.

Now what you do with your own regs in your own time is up to you, especially if you are self servicing. I will say it is unlikely that someone who doesn't service frequently and consistently, or use the tools often, will be able to 'feel it out'. The likely result is damage to the regulator brass by applying too much force, or spinning DIN/Yoke fittings from applying too little.

Do we really need 3 spanner wrenches? Or is it you use 2 (of different sizes) and the 3rd only comes in 1% of the time when your reg is really gunked up?

Like all of the tools listed in the service manual, you can certainly get by without a few, but your life will be much easier if you have a complete set. Is an inline adjuster required? No, but it saves you from having to keep pulling the second stage off the hose to make minor adjustments to the orifice.

That being said I have done field triage and repair of my regulators with a single wrench, IP gauge, and a couple of hex keys. Throw a pin spanner and a pick in there and I can make my way through a whole service. Would I suggest it? Not really, but its better than missing a dive sometimes :)

Full disclosure: I have no tools for this, but I have some normal tools. I also haven't gotten my Deep 6 Signature first stage yet, though I am willing to as needed.

Also, has there been a post on the cost of the seminar? I haven't seen that yet.
$200 and yes, having a reg and the tools to work on said reg is needed

@LandonL I sent a message through Facebook when the class was offered. When and How do we need to Pay?

And own a set of Deep Six Regs from DGX. Can i bring those?
Yes on dgx regs, you have a service kit?

I will contact all tommorow regards payment

$200, tools not needed, but would help. 2/23 9am-4pm
I will bring some tools, just be aware that not having own means longer day, waiting for use of them.

I think I shot a private message to all that confirmed.. if you are coming and did not please send me one!

Thanks,

Chris

@cerich Would it be helpful to bring a small air tank to the clinic for IP checks?

That's crazy, I was thinking of asking the same thing. I can bring 2 full 100cf if needed.

Back
Top Bottom