Deep 6 Eddy Fin - Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I had tried Deep-6 Eddy fin when it initially came out and I was totally not impressed. I even posted a review comparing it to my Jet fins. I decided to try them again this Saturday and the Eddy fin totally exceeded my expectations. I thought another review was needed so here we go ...

My first test dive with Eddy fin was when I was wearing the scubapro boots. These are probably the slimmest, thinnest boots out there as they are designed to slide into Jet fins foot pocket. It is essentially a sock with a rigid sole. While it fitted my XL-Jets perfectly, it was loose and wobbly inside the XL-Eddy fin. While test diving these in the pool, I noticed that the fit was imperfect, I did not realize just how much power was taken away by the bad fit.

This Saturday, I tied the XL-Eddy fin with my drysuit boots which are obviously thicker. The first advantage wa how easy these fins are to put on as compared to my XXL-Jets. The strap on Jets is a bit too rigid and the pocket grips your foot rather tightly. With Eddy' putting on and taking off was so much easier.

Once in the water I noticed that the Eddy got my feet up resulting in a naturally horizontal trim. With Jets, I had to struggle to achieve it. Once the trim was in place, each thrust became more powerful even though the feet did not feel like they were doing much. I also tried turns and back kicks and the Eddy fin was as effective as the Jet fin.

So now, in my books the top fin in the market is Deep-6 Eddy fin. It does all that scubapro jet does except it is lighter and easier on the trim.

I just ordered a pair, should be arriving Monday.

Glad to hear it. The 'lighter' part is worth mentioning. I am under the impression a lot of divers (including me) tend to be a bit 'foot heavy' in negatively buoyant fins, and from what I understand Jet Fins tend to be rather heavy. Deep 6 Eddy and OMS SlipStream fins tend to be near neutrally buoyant. I've read dry suit divers are often light in the feet and appreciate some weight there, but some of the rest of us have different needs.

I like that big foot pocket! My 2XL Eddys are roomy, even for my size 15 foot.

Richard.

The lighter material S/M size were fabulous for single tank diving, even in a drysuit. Too light with a twinset. I had to switch to Hog Tech 2 fins.

Mine arrived today, they seem to fit good. I'm slightly disappointed that mine didn't come with all the lube everyone talks about. I can't wait for this weekend to try them out, hopefully the weather holds out.

@CAPTAIN SINBAD Would it be dick-ish of me to say "I told you...."? :D LOL

I'm glad you have seen the light!

My size XL are too light for me in a drysuit. But, in a wetsuit, my size L are perfect for almost every config I dive (except doubles, where I still need a little more weight on my feet to counteract all the extra weight at the top of the tanks).

@CAPTAIN SINBAD Would it be dick-ish of me to say "I told you...."? :D LOL

I'm glad you have seen the light!

My size XL are too light for me in a drysuit. But, in a wetsuit, my size L are perfect for almost every config I dive (except doubles, where I still need a little more weight on my feet to counteract all the extra weight at the top of the tanks).

Ya man. I find it to be perfect in drysuit. Don't you think you can buy a bulkier wetsuit boot and use the same size for dry as well as wet diving?

Ya man. I find it to be perfect in drysuit. Don't you think you can buy a bulkier wetsuit boot and use the same size for dry as well as wet diving?

Possibly, but I quite like the wetsuit booties I have. I don't really want to add extra bulk to my feet just to make a fin fit. Plus, a bulkier bootie would be mostly thicker in the sole. Not so much wider. I.e. it would be taller, but not much longer or wider. So, it would change the shape of the foot profile. Meaning, needing a different foot pocket shape in the fin to have a perfect fit. As it is, the combos of fins and booties I am using all seem to have very good fits.

And I already have size L and XL in Deep6 fins (neutral) and Hollis F1 and F1 LT fins (negative). So, no real point to buy more booties now.

In the grand scheme of "Money I Spend on Scuba" having 2 sizes of fins is really inconsequential. :D

I like mine a lot. Replacing Dive Rite fins, which I also liked a lot, but do enjoy shorter blades in tight spaces and for travel.

If you need more weight in the fin, the next step is the Hollis F1 before you get to Jets. They sorta split the difference. All do the job well.

I like mine a lot. Replacing Dive Rite fins, which I also liked a lot, but do enjoy shorter blades in tight spaces and for travel.

If you need more weight in the fin, the next step is the Hollis F1 before you get to Jets. They sorta split the difference. All do the job well.

My size XL F1 fins are 2# negative in fresh water.

My size Regular (no idea why they don't just call them size Large) F1 LT fins are 1# negative.

Do you happen to know what the actual buoyancy is of Jet fins (in any size)? I have not had a chance to weigh a pair myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom