Deep 6 branching out with colors on their regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

follow Scuba Rule #1 on that, don't hold your breath... That is the color that I really want however with that being HOG's primary color, I would be surprised.

I do to an extent, but it's only for quick reference at the surface. I.e. I have green hoses on my O2 bottles and from my CCR, or black hoses with green tape, and I use red for my backgas second stages, but it's not part of my gas switch protocols because colors don't hold true at depth and you can't always see them anyway...

I don't think anyone can claim copyright primacy on a color.

Do you guys use color kits for aesthetics or for a meaningful indicator? (Green for 100% oxygen, orange for alternate air source, pink for the tank with laughing gas in it... Etc)?

Sure, some do, and I think it's a good system, if it works for them. After all, there are a few green regulators out there, supposed to help indicate that it should only be used with 100% O2 (to keep it O2 clean).

Other, non-tech, divers can color coordinate their gear for whatever reason they feel.... (easily spotting your gear in a rinse tank or pile on a boat, or to match their Green Drysuit...)

And I thought my setup was fancy... Gonna have to up my game :wink: Deep6-regs.jpg

I don't think anyone can claim copyright primacy on a color.

That’s true. It’s not a copyright, it’s a trademark. And many companies claim them based on specific colors and in various circumstances.

See Qualitex Co. v. Jacobson Products Co., 514 U.S. 159 (1995) for one example litigated in the US Supreme Court.

But many companies do so from UPS (brown) to Deutsche Telekom (magenta). I’m not saying that they DO make such a claim, but HOG certainly COULD make such a claim.

That’s true. It’s not a copyright, it’s a trademark. And many companies claim them based on specific colors and in various circumstances.

See Qualitex Co. v. Jacobson Products Co., 514 U.S. 159 (1995) for one example litigated in the US Supreme Court.

But many companies do so from UPS (brown) to Deutsche Telekom (magenta). I’m not saying that they DO make such a claim, but HOG certainly COULD make such a claim.

Other companies besides HOG makes red regulators so prior art would preclude a successful copyright.

Buy many buy more for future divers and collectors of faceplates and people that change their mind

Still needs a red.
Red is very popular. As you descend, I hear red is always the first to go. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom