Deeeep diving theory

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k, I took the problem to mean that .5 was your lung volume, not SAC. Which means basically we're trying to put 80ft3 into a .5ft3 space. Maybe I misunderstood.

Yeah,
Chrispete started off in the metric. The .5 stated was in liters, a much smaller volume than a cubic foot.

Anyway, it's all fun and games !!!

the K

DA Aquamaster:
People are getting hung up on the tidal volume when it is the tank pressure that is the limiting factor.
Only 21 posts to finally get the right answer... not bad... :)
It is interesting that folks are carrying on as though they could suck someting out of the tank when ambient is greater than internal, ain't it?
Rick

"1(atm)*80(ft3)=x(atm)*.5(ft3), x=160atm, so 160*33=5280 ft, minus the initial 1 atm, and you end up with 5247 ft."

The 80cuft is 80cuft @ 3000psi but that does not mean the volume is 80 cuft at 3000psi. the tank's volume at 1 atm is 80cuft but when you compress it by 3000psi then you squash it to 11L, the size of the tank.

Now don't go getting technical on us, Rick.

I think the idea is "Suppose it can be done".

Or, as you'd say down in MGM, "Sposin you'uns could ..."

It's a hypothetical question you crabby old grouch !!!! :D

How's the Divine Miss Kat?

the K

Hello to all the readers this thread is only mend for the sole purpose of
mind training so Do NOT try this at home:D :D
SB will not be responsable i think:D

Here is another question: if your regulator failed in the open position (a freeflow at normal depths) then at what depth would an 80 cu ft tank at 3000 psi "suck" all the air out of your lungs?

Mlody11:
2nd answer... Since you could not drawn air from your reg. beyond the outside pressure. The limit of taking a breath is 206 ATM. (206 -1) * 33 = 6,765 feet or 2,062 meters before you can no longer breathe from your tank. So now, when you take a breathe of .5L you are in essence increasing the volume of the tank by .5 liters again...
P1V1 = P2V2. (2265 L)(206 ATM) = (2265.5 L)( X atm) X = 205.95 atm, (X -1)* 33ft = 6730.3 ft
so only about 1.5 feet above max before you cannot breathe in a PERFECT REGULATOR

Insted of adding to the volume, take it away. This is a much more difficult problem because the air will be evenly divided between the 2 chambers (lungs and tank) so the regulator will never completly suck the air out of your lungs
(2265L)(206ATM) = (2264.5L)(x atm)
X = 206.04548465444910576286155884301
(x-1) * 33 = 6766.50 ft.

couldn't you just take 3000 divided by 14.7 to get the number of ata. the multiply that by 33 to get the depth. that would be the depth that would be equevlent to the pressure of the tank. then just round down a bit so you could actually take a breath? I am not a math person. I slept through that class. Every year LOL! so please correct me if I am wrong

>>>>begin hijack<<<<
The Kraken:
How's the Divine Miss Kat?
Just fine thankye. She should be coming down to the Springs the 8th & 9th. Y'all comin'?
Rick
>>>>end hijack<<<<

Back
Top Bottom