Dee, now you have done it. C5050 owners ? for you

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubatooth

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Dee, you have finally done it you have started to sway my opinon from getting a canon a80 with housing to a c5050 and housing, (and my wallet and CC are cringing that i write this)

my ultimate goal in underwater photography is to eventually to go to a DSLR and housing but until i can afford i figured it would be good to start(C5050) with this where i have some creative control or can P&S it, as where the A80 is only a P&S with very few manuel controls.

well since seeing all of these wonderful galleries of everybody pics it has really made me look harder at this camera.
having read the reviews on )my favorite digital camera site and finding out that the camera has so many different features that im looking for (control over image contrast, sharpness, and saturation, etc via its review but a couple of problems have come to my attention. the first one is amount of that is seen in bright lightCA (Chromatic Abbrevation) in some of the images

so now i feel like a complete newbie so here are some more questions.
1.how long of a movie clip can you take with the C5050 (continious) Genesis ??
2. has anybody really played with the RAW functionality of the camera
3. has anybody run into demosiac artifiacts in there 5050 images? example
4. about how many shots do you get on the average set of AA, and then how many for recharables

What are some of the more popular accessories(lenses trays,etc)

As it stands now here is the kit
5050 and housing
after a couple of months a strobe (dual maybe?)

well if i think of any other questions i will post them here

1. limited only by card size e.g. about 1500secs on a 512 CF
2. if you mean shoot in RAW - yes. I use the Adobe RAW plugin for post processing
3. not yet
4. I only use NiMHs rechargeables. It's hard to say how many shots but to give you an idea I can easily do 2 dives with one set of batteries (1650 - 2000 mAH) with the viewfinder and flash on and fill both my 512CF and 128xD with 200++ pics in SHQ.

Re accessories here's the post of my setup that you had requested in an earlier topic:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=422122&highlight=BAAQW#post422122

HTH

I haven't had a problem with CA. But I've seen it from several brands of cameras.

1. I got over almost 15 min. on my 256mg CF card.

2. I don't shoot in RAW but others report their approval. They use the Adobe RAW plugin for processing.

3. Not sure what you're talking about, I saw nothing wrong with the photo.

4. I only use NiMH's, too. With 2000 and 2200 mAH batteries, using internal flash, monitor on all the time and the camera seldom getting into sleep mode, I'm getting 3 dives and 250+ photos per charge with juice left over to view the pics.

Come on over to the Oly side.....you know you want to!

:mean:

dee as for this tray that you and rey are talking about, would this be the tray to get (to start with) or is there another one you would recommend

also could i get a picture of this fish eye tray with out a camera on it, and then can i get some pictures of the PT-15 housing(front, back, top, bottom and each side) since i cant see one locally(Dee if you do make a trip to dallas this fall bring your camera with you because iwould like to take a look at it)

Dan

The tray w dimensions and handle installed, courtesy of Yuzo at uwdigitalcamera. Now where's that QVTR application of mine.....

reyer

very nice thanks for the dimensions, but another question is that top piece necessay on that tray ?

well i just priced out what it would cost to get DSLR housing plus the domes needed to cover the standard 16-100mm range would be over 8k (that includes the DSLR to) so needless to say thats going to be a few years before that happens on what this college student makes(i can dream cant I).

Dan

I'm totally pleased with my Fisheye tray but if I was to consider another brand it would be the new tray by
Ultra Light. Just click on What's New. It's basic design is like the FE but the arm doesn't adjust. If I remember my math correctly, the FE tray was cheaper.

I do like the spotting light mount. It can be used on the FE tray so I'm adding it to my rig.

Has the viz cleared up at CSSP? I doubt I'll be doing much diving the rest of the year but Beast is always ready for cold water. We've been talking going to Dallas just to have something to do some weekend. If so I'll let you know and bring my rig.

the viz is getting a little better but it depends on the area lake your on if its my the platforms forget it but on the north and far south west end its good, as for diving for my it will probably be the DUI demo on the 23-24 so that i can test dive the type of suit that i will be getting in the spring, but after that the gear will go up for the winter. Dee also how long did you have your previous set up before beast got it? then will the WAL adaptor for the tp-010 work on the 015 ?

then after that i will begin working on my projects list, including several websites that are to go live next spring(including my personal site, which will be about time).

reyer, what is that red andidized metal piece on your oly housing

Dan

Scubatooth once bubbled...
....Dee also how long did you have your previous set up before beast got it? then will the WAL adaptor for the tp-010 work on the 015 ?

I've had the C-4040/PT-010 for about 2 years. Beast decided on our CCV trip in April that he was tired of the old MX-10 film camera and wanted a digital so we bought a used C-3040 in May, I think. He's used it all summer until a month or so ago when I got the C-5050. We didn't need 3 Oly camera so we sold the C-3040 to another Swamp Diver (keeping it in the family!) and Beast took over the c-4040. It's nice to know it's there as a back up!

Yes, fortunately, the PT-15 has the same 67mm lens port as the PT-010 so everything for one can be used with the other.

reyer, what is that red andidized metal piece on your oly housing
Scubatooth, are you referring to the .jpg image I posted above. If so then that's not my rig - it's a picture that Yuzo sent when I enquired about the tray. I think the red anodised piece that's sticking out from behind the housing is just a Fisheye grip that Yuzo used to 'prop' the rig up for the photograph. The only thing that's of red anodised aluminium on the PT-015 is the front port ring.
very nice thanks for the dimensions, but another question is that top piece necessay on that tray ?
No. That's good for as a carry handle or if you want to install additional accessories like the inon lens caddy.

Back
Top Bottom