Deconstructing Avatars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice one, SM! Or should I say, SAM?

Neat. My daughter earned her doctorate at Scripps about a dozen years ago.

I know reversing: Sierra, blue on white, right? What's the signal for "leaving the dock"?
It's Papa

A nick name. Lisa is often pronounced Leza. One such, a brainac physicist, felt it appropriate denoting an esoteric form of my choice of turn in crud particularly useful on telemark gear. The US Professional Ski Instructors Demo Team called it a Mystery Turn. He, more into theory application learned it, calling the subtle yet very powerful downweighted turn the Za (in a Conan the Barbarian deep growl) turn.

I don’t get what a goat has to do with Haldane. His emblem was a goat? Like a coat of arms? They used goats like coal miners used canary’s?

I don’t get what a goat has to do with Haldane. His emblem was a goat? Like a coat of arms? They used goats like coal miners used canaries?
Ah. Good question, Za! Haldane needed (non-human) subjects on which to perform tests to determine empirically how deep/long a compression was safe and how fast the de-compression could be. He chose goats because they were plentiful, their physiology is not too different from ours, and when a long-legged goat has a bend it really shows in its gait/posture--as opposed to, for example, a pig. With non-human subjects you can't just ask them, "do you have any pain yet?"

Mine is easy to figure out. Me on a beach in Antigua.

Is that a tat on your back?

Mine is my 14' Phantom Sailboat... its very similar to a Sunfish sailboat. My buddies and I used it for freediving and a little scuba when growing up. I actually share ownership of it with another guy but he is an arrogant bastard and I'll save that story for another day.

Mine represents my good natured self.

Back
Top Bottom