Decompression on record dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rather unnecessary, hundreds of folks saturated in Jules, including me, and one guy for about 60 days, and no one got bent.

How does a one minute stop at 15' help off gass from a dive that was, in its entirety.......at 15'??

Don't ask me, I just typed the results from my preferred dive planning software. I meant to put a smiley in there :wink:

There's no deco obligation at all if you use 32%, btw.

If you are not below 23 FSW you may ascend to the surface at 30 fpm even if you are saturated.

Good grief man, don’t let the oil industry see that. That would be almost 8 hours less depth pay per diver. That equals an awful lot of really pissed-off, and probably intoxicated sat divers looking for YOU! :wink:

I'd be concerned about bringing someone up from saturation at, say, 400 FSW and then surfacing them at 30 fpm from 23 FSW ... even if the models say that's OK. Saturating them at 23 FSW is a whole different story.

I'd be concerned about bringing someone up from saturation at, say, 400 FSW and then surfacing them at 30 fpm from 23 FSW ... even if the models say that's OK. Saturating them at 23 FSW is a whole different story.

Getting back to serious and for the benefit of others, saturated at 23' on air isn't the same as passing through 23' from a much deeper mixed gas sat due to the residual gas. There is also a variable when the diluent gas is Helium rather than Nitrogen. Once in a great while a commercial sat diver takes a hit, usually from sleeping on their arm or with legs folded. Some operations follow the policy of stopping decompression during sleeping hours, sometimes only in the last 100', sometimes not at all.

The US Navy mixed gas sat decompression schedule is very conservative but remains popular because treatment delays really hose-up the $chedule. They need that crew on deck and on-time so the new crew that just choppered aboard a few hours before can get pressed down — who need to relieve a deep crew so they can start decompression. Dropping the baton can hold up a very expensive and choreographed parade.

However, I’m not volunteering to explain that to every penny pinching oil company rep because you spilled the beans! …Did I mention we were back in levity mode?

In case anyone is curious, here is the saturation decompression schedule from the U.S. Navy Diving Manual, Revision 6, 15 April 2008, Chapter 15 — Saturation Diving, Page 15-33.

Table 15‑9. Saturation Decompression Rates.
Depth
Rate
1,600 – 200 fsw
6 feet per hour
200 – 100 fsw
5 feet per hour
100 – 50 fsw
4 feet per hour
50 – 0 fsw
3 feet per hour

I get a bit concerned because (I suspect, like you) I've seen lots of the cubical inhabiting types try real hard to misunderstand reality so that it fits their desired outcome, after all, it's never their body on the line, and their biggest concerns are usually on the small-change end of the finances.

I visited him during the afternoon he started and it was pretty rough.
He's going to attempt it in december again.
I would suggest Summer, but hey, why wait? :p

What about CNS and OTU?

All 0.000

decoplan.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom