Decompresion theory and algorithms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emmjay

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone suggest places I could find the algorithms used to work out dive planners? I have found info on the Buhlmann algorithm but that only takes me to the pressure in a given compartment and the pressure you could drop to before forming N2 bubbles. What I am looking for now is how to get from there to Pressure Groups and residual N2 after X surface interval.
Thanks heaps

emmjay once bubbled...
Hi, can anyone suggest places I could find the algorithms used to work out dive planners? I have found info on the Buhlmann algorithm but that only takes me to the pressure in a given compartment and the pressure you could drop to before forming N2 bubbles. What I am looking for now is how to get from there to Pressure Groups and residual N2 after X surface interval.
Thanks heaps

Anything you ever wanted to know about deco theory can be downloaded here:

ftp://ftp.decompression.org/pub/

Brace yourself it's, boring.

To answer your question about surface intervals, there are a limited number of ways to do it.

Exponential uptake, Exponential release: In this model the remaining N2 after a surface interval is calculated the same way as the uptake using the various compartment 1/2 times. Many dive computres use this technique.

Exponential uptake, 60 min release: In this model the remaining N2 after a surface interval is based on the 60 min compartment. The PADI RDP uses this method, which is appropriate for no deco diving.

Exponential update, 120 min release: In this model the remaining N2 after a surface interval is based on the 120 min compartment. The Navy tables use this technique.

I'm sure there are other ways too but these are probably the most common. It should be noted that these work for Haldanian models. RGBM models probably have a very different way to do it although the results don't differ much. Bruce Wienke is *MR* RGBM so you'll probably be able to find what he has to say abou it in the document archive I mentioned.

R..

Dear R.:

Everything?

Dr D would seek umbrage at the statement that the alluded-to web site, or anything else for that matter, contains “all that you would want to know about decompression.” The standard question asked of me is, “If everyone follows the same safe decompression table, why does one dive get DCS and not the others?” Certainly, the answers to some questions are not contained in decompression theory.

Now, quite frankly, I believe what you had in mind was everything concerning table design.

Table Design

The problem with decompression theory is that it is not quite as easy as it looks. We have a lot of post hoc, propter hoc. That is to say, if it works, it is because the theory is correct. That is not necessarily true. Haldane’s method works very well but is not correct for the reasons given. There have been modifications proposed, but they have been difficult to prove and some of the modifications themselves have been incorrect. I believe that some of the answers have come about because of my research program at NASA. . This concerns the nature of the nuclei and the meaning of the half time tissues. This is not to imply that all is known, but some progress has been made.

Cost

Actually devising tests to test the mechanisms of decompression are expensive ans some are time consuming and some are dangerous. It cannot be expected that all will be worked out in a short period of time. But, no one ever said that it would be fast.

Dr Deco :doctor:

[On vacation this week]:mean:

Dr Deco once bubbled...
Dear R.:

Everything?

Dr D would seek umbrage at the statement that the alluded-to web site, or anything else for that matter, contains “all that you would want to know about decompression.” <snip>

[On vacation this week]:mean:

Oops. Please forgive me Dr. Powell. I didn't mean to offend you. I was only offering "emmjay" a starting point and I didn't seriously mean to imply that Dr. Wienke's work was the be-all-and-end-all of the discussion. <slaps forehead and says "dumb dumb dumb..." :bonk:>

[Wishing I were on vacation this week] :rolleyes:

R..

Dear RO:

I know that you did not mean anything bad. I was just taking this as an opportunity to “advertise” for the research side of the house!

I always appreciate every comment.:wink:

[On vacation this week] :mean:

Back
Top Bottom