Deco dummy here - I really have no clue what the deal is...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I've only got about 50 recreational dives, and I'm sort of new to the board. I've been reading a lot on this board (in other rooms, too) about the deco requirements, hang time, stage bottles, etc.

I'm trying to understand the motivation, lengths and depths for the type of diving that requires the diver to hang out for what seems to be hours (can it really be that long) at a time to deco.

It sounds like the deco stop is longer than the actual "dive" part of the dive...the 'look I'm here, hey that's cool, well, gotta run - lets head back up and sit on a rope for another couple of hours..."

Whats the deal?

Is there that much more to see at ____ FSW (150, 200, 250?) that makes it worth hanging out in comparatively shallow depths in mid-water for all that time? Maybe the deco isn't really that long...? I read about portable chess boards, radios, water-proof paper for doodling or reading...

I'm not familiar with the math and science of deco diving. But I am curious. What drives hard core deco divers?

Thanks for induldging my ignorance. I really have nobody in my sphere that does this type of diving and I'm not sure where to go to learn more about it.

Ken

Intellegent questions. There really isnt that much more to see at extreme depths. For me it is the mental and physical challenge of planning an conducting the dives that gives me the jazz.

The having a command and understanding of your own physiology and the impact of that extreme environment.

Managing around the frailties of our created bodies through planning and execution - The rush of going and returning safely - I get all that.

Is the time commitment to deco that severe..? I mean, are you talking 20 or 30 minutes on a rope for a 150 fsw, 45 minute bottom time, or are you talking an hour?

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but I see people in the tec room flaming and laughing at pictures of what look like water-bound astronauts with three big-ass flashlights taped to their dome and 2 cylinders on their back and 3 under each arm... I just want some reference points so I can get around the motivation behind that type of "diving."

Thanks -

Ken

Another possible motivation would be to dive sites that are not accessable to normal divers - one such site would be the Britannic, a sister ship to the Titanic, basically the same ship with better watertight compartments that sank while being utilized as a hospital ship during WWI due to either a torpedo or mine in about 400 feet of water. I was watching a Discovery Channel special that was following a GUE expidetion to the wreck to penetrate it and solve some unanswered questions. That dive would be more than worth the deco involved to me, just to descend on a ship that is the same as the Titanic that has been extremely well preserved.

Edit: Another note, these dives were done on OC SCUBA at that...

AHHHH interesting question.

Deep wrecks like the Britanic are the best reason.
The journey is the second best reason

hows that for a couple very simple answers

I'm getting the why's....

Now, the how long? Lets use a deep wreck for an example - lying at 175 feet. You sport doubles. You descend. You hang out for __________ (10 minutes, 30 minutes...an hour?)

What is the deco obligation for something like this. I'm not going to go off and make the dive... I don't have the equipment or the training to do this. I'm just curious.

If a dive profile like this requires a hang at 30 feet for 50 minutes, after 30 minutes of bottom time, I have to say I'm one of those people that just doesn't get it.

I'm cool with not getting it yet. I didn't get wine for a long time, until I began to appreciate the craft, the passion, the planning, patience and art that went into it.

I just love the mobility and comparative ease of my recreational diving right now. Maybe when I have 300 logged dives around So Cal, the pink rocks, brown kelp and orange garabaldi will get stale. Right now at 50 dives (48, actually) its all good.

My SAC is getting better, my gas is lasting longer, I'm more relaxed and confident with every dive. Just went dry a few dives ago...its all still very new. Tell me more about the time commitments...

Thanks -

ken

Mo2vation once bubbled...
I'm getting the why's....

Now, the how long? Lets use a deep wreck for an example - lying at 175 feet. You sport doubles. You descend. You hang out for __________ (10 minutes, 30 minutes...an hour?)

What is the deco obligation for something like this. I'm not going to go off and make the dive... I don't have the equipment or the training to do this. I'm just curious.

I'm curious about this too. I could see it being very claustrophobic being stuck there at your deco stop and knowing you have no choice but stay there or get bent. I guess that's why you'd have to be really experienced to keep your cool.

I guess no matter how experienced you are, the first time has to be at least a little stressful.

try this at home

lock yourself in your hall closet for two hours

The more I read posts on this board, the more aware I am of the amazingly great variety of divers out there. Clearly, everyone has their type of diving. I, for one, enjoy going deep (though not like the tec divers) but at my increasing age (50) realize that it is probably better for me not to push the limits. I realize too, that I get more bottom time and see a lot at shallower depths. What is great about this board is I can learn and read experiences of the very experienced. I am amazed at the diver knowledge shared and the extremes that some divers have achieved.

Mo2vation, I know I'm not answering your question, but I'm going to sit back and read the many more responses that you're going to get from the pros.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom