Deco algorithm information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

awestholm

Reaction score
All,

I'm planning to write a web-based dive planning tool for an independant study project at school this semester. I thought it would be a good way to get a chance to learn more about diving science, while getting a few credits at the same time. So now I just need some information about the algorithms used... are there sources (web, book, whatever) where I can learn about deco algorithms such as RGBM, Buhlman, and Haldanean? Also would love to learn about rock bottom gas calculation, nitrox blend selection based on depth, o2 toxicity calculations, and the theory behind choosing mixes and depths during staged deco (if that's not part of the basic deco algorithm).

Since I'm sure this is setting off everyone's safety red flags: this will not be publicly released software, and I won't be using it myself... in other words, NO ONE will use this for actual dive planning... it's purely for educational purposes, and to demonstrate some software engineering stuff to the profs at school.

Thanks for your help!

-- Alex

awestholm:
Found a description of the Buhlman algorithm at the following site: http://www.lizardland.co.uk/DIYDeco.html

The page references a book called Deeper into Diving... anyone read that? Is it worth picking up?

-- Alex

i'm currently writing my own dive-log/dive-planner and i'll probably be looking over this link more in-detail :)

Bruce Wienke wrote the "Reduced Gradient Bubble Model" in depth and although I'm too lazy to read it entirely, you could benefit from it if you're looking at different algorithms. It details the entire algorithm deeply.

Hello readers:

The algorithm is but one part of the calculation. One also needs good dive data to adjust the parameters. This data must include cases of DCS. Many “clean” dives are not of much value. Good, reliable data is not easy to gather.

The books and papers describing the models will tell much – but not all. Table designers will not wish to reveal all of the parts of their proprietary models.:06:

Dr Deco :doctor:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom