Decision on WA lens-Need advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divengolf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've recently acquired an Ikelite Housing, DS-51 strobe and a Nikon P5100. I'm about to get a WA lens and have limited it to either the Ikelite W-20. the INON UWL-100/2 or the Epoque DCL-20 from reading the numerous threads on SB, wetpixel & digital diver.

I'm inclined to go with the INON lens. Is that the best choice??

ALso should I get blue & green filters?

BTW: I've shot over 5,000 pictures UW with a Sealife digital but want more control, but not the hassle & expense of a SLR. Besides my wife, who is a serious photog, has an extra P5100 laying around. She will not let me take any of her SLRs underwater. She doesn't dive-does wildlife photo.

All opinions would be appreciated.

TIA

32.gif

1. Forget the filters. Use manual white balance.

2. I have an INON wide angle lens and love it, not necessarily the brand, but the wide angle lens. I am not familiar with other brands but I would select a bayonet type versus a thread on type if possible.

I'm about to get a WA lens and have limited it to either the Ikelite W-20. the INON UWL-100/2 or the Epoque DCL-20 from reading the numerous threads on SB, wetpixel & digital diver.

You have "limited it" to these lenses? What lenses were "eliminated"?

You have "limited it" to these lenses? What lenses were "eliminated"?

There were a couple other names that I ran across. I don't remember the names, but could not find much info on them. It's possible that they are not compatible with the camera/housing combo that I'm using. I did not research them at all. The three that I mentioned seemed to be the overwhelming favorites in what I read.

So, what do you think??

I am a fan of the Inon WAL as well but have no experience with the others you mention. Unlike Gilligan, I prefer the threaded lens vs the bayonet type. Mainly because I do not like keeping up with the lens if I take it off.

As such, I commit to wide angle before I get in the water. If for some reason - on rare occasions I want to shoot without the lens, I just remove it and hold on to it while my wife shoots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom