Decision for buying 3d or 2d gauge ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WarriorWolf

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
hi ..

i have a simple and professional question at the same time :)

i'm considering to buy scuba package:
which is: 444 Mares Scuba Gear Package - Mares Regulator, Octo, BCD, and Gauge - JoeDiverAmerica.com

also if you have other comments for this package you also welcome to tell me your opinion :wink:

the main question is about the gauge, which is better 3d with compass or 2d w/o compass ?

is there other or better way for the compass with your equipment ?

thanks ..

I used to think balanced regulators are just a joke untill once day, while doing a safety stop after 25 - 30m wreck dive, i realized that after a long dive, the last thing you wana do is sucking a regulator, yeah sucking cause there is no way you can call that a breating.

back to your question, with a computer on one hand, light, maybe camera and ect, in my own openion, if you can get 3 gauges in a small console, why not. problem with wrist compase, is that you might forget them at home, or at the boat. with some suits, you have to remove them before wearing the suit.

i'm considering to buy scuba package: which is: 444 Mares Scuba Gear Package - Mares Regulator, Octo, BCD, and Gauge - JoeDiverAmerica.com . . . also if you have other comments for this package you also welcome to tell me your opinion
What is it about this package that attracts you? That is ultimately more important than the opinions of others. Or, at least, having that understanding may help others offer more-informed opinions.

I wouldn't spend the kind of money you are considering on a) a jacket BCD, or b) an unbalanced regulator first stage. If I were to consider the package (which I wouldn't), it would be with a 12S first stage with a Prestige second stage, and a Prestige octopus. The 12S is a solid first stage - I prefer a functional regulator with two identical second stages.

If my goal was to acquire a BCD and regulator for warm water, recreational diving, as cheaply as possible, I wouldn't buy (low end) new gear anyway. You can get much better equipment, used, at a better price, on Craigslist or eBay.
the main question is about the gauge, which is better 3d with compass or 2d w/o compass ?
Of the two, a 2 gauge console is better.
is there other or better way for the compass with your equipment ?
There are several options, any of which are better - from my perspective - than a console-based compass. A wrist mounted compass is excellent. In addition, I find that a compass mounted on a retractor, and clipped to a right chest D-ring is also useful. I find a compass in a console is awkward to use, effectively and appropriately. Plus, I confess, I really do not care for bulky consoles. The gauge of critical interest is the SPG - get a SPG on a HP hose and clip it to your waist, the hose should / will be shorter than those which are usually mounted on consoles. For a depth gauge, buy and use a good wrist-mounted computer.

Last edited:
Compass in a console or elsewhere is personal preference and might depend on how and on how often you intend to use it.
Will you be doing a lot of low vis diving with frequent reference to your compass?
Will you be doing mostly divemaster-led dives? or dives in familiar waters with good visibility and plenty of landmarks?

I'm not sure which octopus you're considering, but I'll chime in because I own the MV safe second. I have it connected to my Scubapro Mk11 first stage.

Pros:
- It's incredibly small.
- It's cheap to service.
- It doesn't breath horribly.

Cons:
- It breathes REALLY wet.

I appreciate the size and the lack of expense, but it breaths very wet. I wouldn't want to have to breath on it for a prolonged period of time, so I've been pondering upgrading it. I would follow the suggestions that people are giving and nab an octopus that matches your primary breather.

what are balanced regulators? do they have advantages or they caused you a problem?

---------- Post added February 17th, 2014 at 03:16 PM ----------

What is it about this package that attracts you? That is ultimately more important than the opinions of others. Or, at least, having that understanding may help others offer more-informed opinions.

Yeah, I know that what I like is more important .. I liked it and I did a comparison between packages .. of course choosing retails would be more expensive :crafty:

So, these packages are attractive actually .. also, the new trainer who came recently told me that mares are good equipment ..

I wouldn't spend the kind of money you are considering on a) a jacket BCD, or b) an unbalanced regulator first stage. If I were to consider the package (which I wouldn't), it would be with a 12S first stage with a Prestige second stage, and a Prestige octopus. The 12S is a solid first stage - I prefer a functional regulator with two identical second stages.

first, i like Mares Prestige BCD which is for $299.95 with a package, and with other equipment, I realized that the total price would be quite high ..

Then, I thought "Spirit or Prestige, what;s the difference?", so finally I concluded this package ..

secondly, balanced and unbalanced regulators are new terminologies to me .. I'm learning :cool2: I've dive yet .. and I still don't know what's the difference between the two !!?

Also, solid and functional, could you explain more, please. And, their relationship with balanced and unbalanced regulators.

If my goal was to acquire a BCD and regulator for warm water, recreational diving, as cheaply as possible, I wouldn't buy (low end) new gear anyway. You can get much better equipment, used, at a better price, on Craigslist or eBay.Of the two, a 2 gauge console is better. There are several options, any of which are better - from my perspective - than a console-based compass. A wrist mounted compass is excellent. In addition, I find that a compass mounted on a retractor, and clipped to a right chest D-ring is also useful. I find a compass in a console is awkward to use, effectively and appropriately. Plus, I confess, I really do not care for bulky consoles. The gauge of critical interest is the SPG - get a SPG on a HP hose and clip it to your waist, the hose should / will be shorter than those which are usually mounted on consoles. For a depth gauge, buy and use a good wrist-mounted computer.

Well, for used equipment, I think you're clearing your vision from your experience in diving .. so you think buying used high or medium quality is more practical and convenient as you rated this package as "low end" which means I may have problems when using them afterwards.

For the BCD .. I need XS size I don't know if it would be easy to find ..

Mask, I found this one: High Definition $29.95

The suit is also hard because I don't fit in any one. I have to get junior size 16, because I weight 115lbs.

The regulator is a very important piece as the instructor in the scuba shop told me, I thought they mostly the same functionality. Though, I would search for used regulator among high quality regulators.

Last edited:
what are balanced regulators? do they have advantages or they caused you a problem?
A balanced regulator is designed to maintain its ease-of-breathing regardless of depth or tank pressure. In contrast, a diver breathing from an unbalanced regulator will notice that breathing resistance (the amount of effort it takes to draw a breath from the second stage) increases with depth or as the scuba tank pressure becomes lower. In the 21st century, there is no reason for a recreational diver to buy an unbalanced regulator, simply because it is less expensive.
So, these packages are attractive actually ..
OK, fair enough. Let me ask a few questions: a) WHAT SPECIFICALLY is attractive about the particular BCD, as one example, in the package? I am not saying it is 'bad', rather asking what you specifically like about it.; b) WHY did you pick a Mares package (other than an instructor told you it is good gear)? Why not the Oceanic, or the Aeris, or the Genesis, or the TUSA package? Just curious.
also, the new trainer who came recently told me that mares are good equipment
Mares IS good equipment. My comments about the package are really unrelated to the brand. Many / most manufacturer offers 2-3 'levels' of gear, particularly in regulators, but also in BCDs, etc - low, medium, and high end. What you often find is that the low end is cheap, but is gear that is ultimately replaced soon because of issues of functionality - it doesn't wear out, rather the diver comes to realize, as s/he gains experience, that they bought something that won't allow them to grow as a diver. The high end gear is often burdened with 'bells and whistles' that offer nothing as far as helping the diver develop, but add significantly to the price.

At this point, given what you have communicated, I STRONGLY encourage you wait - stop, take a breath, think about using rental gear as available, then finish your training and try different gear configurations (e.g. a jacket BCD vs. a back-inflation BCD), BEFORE investing in gear. You are proposing to spend money on a 'package' that is a) overpriced for what you are getting, b) not necessarily gear that will serve the serious diver in the long run. Basically, I ask you to ask yourself, 'Do I have enough experience to make an intelligent and informed gear selection decision?'

Now, having said that, will the gear in the package 'work'? Yes, you can dive safely with it. Is it worth the price? Possibly, possibly not. Is there better gear (not necessarily brand, rather model and functionality) out there which would represent a better value? Probably. I fully understand that the allure of 'new gear, my gear, I own it, I can use it whenever' is very compelling. And, sometimes people make purchasing decisions simply because that allure is irresistible.
Mask, I found this one: High Definition $29.95
This is a good example of why you should pause, or rather seek local advice. (In fairness, I do not know where you are - region / country - nor do I know what kind of very good advice, or completely useless rubbish, you may be getting from a local dive shop.) The primary / main / essentially single most important issue with a mask is FIT. Have you tried an Ocean Quest Arctic Clear High Definition mask on to see if it fits YOUR FACE? The specifications on the website say it is suited for a medium-large face. Does that describe your face? Do you really want a purge mask? If so, and you know it this one fits you, then the price is pretty low, and it may be a good buy. The same website page shows a dry snorkel right next to it, also for a low price. Do you really want a dry snorkel, irrespective of price? If so, why? Some / many people (myself included) would tell you that a dry snorkel is essentially unnecessary for diving, in fact it is an annoyance because the weight of the dry valve at the end of the snorkel makes it feel a bit awkward on your head.
The suit is also hard because I don't fit in any one. I have to get junior size 16, because I weight 115lbs.
And, the suit is where I would spend my money at the beginning. A good quality exposure suit, that FITS YOU will be worth whatever you pay for it. (The only gear that I do not buy used are exposure suits, wet or dry. ) And sizes are not the same across manufacturers. This item, like a mask, is something you need to try on, actually try several brands / models. A poorly fitting exposure suit, just l;ike a poorly fitting mask, will annoy you on each and every dive. Buying online to save money is not a good idea, for 'fit' items.every dive.

In the end, it is your money, you should spend it as you wish. What you buy has no impact on those of us on SB offering opinions. But, you would be well-served to consider waiting until you gain a bit of experience, and you would be well-served to consider working with a local outlet on at least some gear.

Last edited:
increases with depth or as the scuba tank pressure becomes lower

Actually the opposite is true at least for diaphragm firsts. As the cylinder pressure decreases the IP increases. Some of my older regs breath incredibly easy at low pressures.

Actually the opposite is true at least for diaphragm firsts. As the cylinder pressure decreases the IP increases. Some of my older regs breath incredibly easy at low pressures.
While it is nice to provide your anecdotal experience with whatever older regs you use (and I am not disagreeing - it is your experience, not mine), what I provided was a fairly standard definition to help the OP distinguish the two types of design.(Balanced Regulators - What Is a Balanced Scuba Regulator?). Yes, as depth increases, the ease of breathing - from anything - may be adversely affected by the density of the air, and that is true for diaphragm first as well. But, that is unrelated to balanced vs unbalanced design.

Yea, I understood your aspect of vision ..

If the place is familiar and near to the shore .. that's good point and of course in this case the possibility to get the compass even if you have it is low ..

The serious issue is when you dive far and away of the shore, and maybe you wouldn't see the island or the city shore. I think in this case it would be important.

---------- Post added February 18th, 2014 at 05:08 PM ----------

Is it so often to use the octopus? Do you really recommend to buy same level as mares 2S regulator?

Back
Top Bottom