deciding which light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vapourinthesea

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey everyone,
So I'm looking into getting my first dive light, but there are a lot to choose from I have my eye's on two different one's and was wanting peoples opinions on them. USA~LED DIVE LIGHT~1000lm Torch scuba diving flashlight | eBay ----the first one

Princeton Tec Shockwave LED Scuba Light NEW 2011 | eBay -----the second one

I like that the first one has 1,000 Lumens vs. 400 lumes of the second. But Princeton Tec is a much better name; and both are about the same price. Any thoughts????

For about $120 you can get a Halcyon Scout body, battery tray, and bezel from Extreme Exposure and the CREE burner from blomquistjja1 on fleabay.

With the soft Goodman handle from Big Blue the Scout makes a very nice OW primary light and -further down the road- a first class backup for your canister light. Bright, bullet proof, and serious burn time.

I have three lights from China and think highly of them. I would pass on the one you are thinking about for two reasons. First, it looks like a front bezel design that people have had problems with. Second, I don't like the rotary switch. Two of my lights have them and they just don't have that positive feel.

If you do decide on this light, you need to do two things. First, buy a pair of 4000mah 18650 batteries (18mm x 65mm) that are "protected". Second, when you dive with the light drop down to 10m are give the front bezel a turn. Repeat every 5m or so to increase the tension on the o ring.

There are better and less expensive lights from China than the one you are looking at. When I get the time, I will post a link to a light that has worked for me.

Ok, thanks driftwood. And thanks lobzilla for the idea, but I think I'd rather just go with something that isn't a DIY project for now. Pretty much I want the most light for the cheapest price, but as everything you get what you pay for.

But that hollis only has 260 lumens. I want as bright as I can. And I'm looking for something that's a primary light, not just a little pocket light.

But that hollis only has 260 lumens. I want as bright as I can. And I'm looking for something that's a primary light, not just a little pocket light.

If you dont mind me asking under what conditions will you use this light? for what purpose?

There is more to a light than its lumen value, sometimes less is more.

It will be used mainly for quarry's and lakes throughout wisconsin. I've noticed that at (for example) the Redgranite Quarry in Wisconsin, at around 30ft deep it starts to really get darker..and that was on a very bright day with the sun high in the sky and there being no waves. I just want something thats going to illuminate everything as I go deeper.

You should go with the Princeton Tec or Underwater Kinetics. Lights can be too bright, if it is too bright then it scares away the life. I was in Cozumel and there was a guy with a light that was 800 lumens and everytime he would shine it on somthing it would go and hide. So you can have a light that is too bright.

I have the Princeton Shockwave LED and think it's a great light for it's size and cost. I've used this on night dives and it's like the sun comes out when it's on. It's more than I need or want on a critter dive, but it's a great light for recreational wreck diving. I use a 3 watt led handheld for the critter dives at night.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom