Suggestion deceptive comments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
SteveFass

SteveFass

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Is there anything we can do about ScubaBoarders who are being deceptive in their comments for personal financial gain? I just "outed" one member in the travel section, but that probably won't stop her, and there's bound to be others.

Boom - I'm talking about the unethical practice of recommending a product or service without revealing that they also represent that product or service.

Darn, too many people are figuring out capitalistic ways. :wink:

Hey Steve...

Thankfully, we have a TON of sharp eyed users like yourself. We have a TON of ethical users who represent everything from travel and trips to gear and LDs. They are up front in their connection and usually have this connection in their sig line.

The really sharp commercial users are the ones who advertise as well. People LIKE to support people who support their internet habit! :D Things like this clears ALL doubt as to who can be believed and who is trying to just trick you.

There is no way to screen who is legitimate and who is not (short of having people fax us their drivers license and then running a background check). Thus the burden is on the customer, but this is always the case, online and off. In the event we notice anything fishy we will of course remove the post and warn or ban the user but we can't catch everything... if you see something that seems fishy let us know and we will address it (you can use the report link on any post).

From what you described, I don't see the deception. That part was still left out.

Did they lie about what the object was? The price? Did they actually say they didn't represent the product or service?

radinator:
From what you described, I don't see the deception. That part was still left out.

Did they lie about what the object was? The price? Did they actually say they didn't represent the product or service?

He's referring to this thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=46704

Seems a travel agent recommended her service without identifying herself. She was outed, chastised, and apologized profusely to SteveFass and Uncle Pug, promising never to do it again.

To my way of thinking, that should do it. I think the originator of this thread must be having a bad hair day! :)

I just picked up a simple and inexpensive program to stop such posts. It's called the EZ-Post Screener and I absolutely love it. I recommend that EVERYONE buy it for themselves by sending $49.99 to FlaneurProducts, Inc. They are a great company and I'm pretty sure they accept Pay Pal. I actually got the Turbo Deluxe Pro 5.0 version for just $89.99 which is a really great deal and gives you lots of added features.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom