Decent budget places in Curacao & Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like both islands.
I'm doing a 10-day dive trip to CUR in March.
And then an 8-day trip to BON the end of October, followed by 3 more days on CUR...

I too think both islands are great diving destinations, each with there own appeal, and having dived most of the sites on both islands, I certainly would not rate one above the other.

Rather, many of the best dive sites on Curacao are only accessible by boat, whereas most on Bonaire are nearby and accessible from shore.

I am certainly biased, and ignorant for that matter, as I live in Curacao, and have never been to Bonaire (yeah yeah, I'm workin' on it). However, I think that Curacao does sort of get an uncalled for Boat Diving reputation. The fact is that in 6 years of living here, and diving multiple times per week, I sill have never done a boat dive here. Well, ok, I did do the Dolphin Encounter dive, but the boat ride was 27 seconds.

It really is a marketing issue. There are probably not 5 dive operations on the island that specialize in shore diving, whereas we have a whole bunch of operations that have boats. Almost every week I am doing shore dives where I see boat divers getting dropped off to the same location. Even Watamula is accessible from shore, although admittedly, I'd do that one from a boat just for ease of entry and exit.

On a two week vacation with a rental car, and even the slightest sense of adventure it would not be possible to dive every single shore dive that we have here. There are experts on the island here (and posters on ScubaBoard) that could tell you how many shore dive locations we have. I personally have done maybe 30-40, and I'm pretty sure there are more than that to be had.

My$.02 and worth half as much.

Jeff

fireresq224,
just to add All West is a great spot for diving but its far from the "big city". Its about an hour away if you want to explore Willemstad. But I/We loved the diving right in front of ALL West. I don't think or believe you have to have a lot of experience to do this dive and its great.
Bonaire, everything is real close whether its diving,dining or shopping. Nightlife would be close but I am not sure what it is having no interest. We go out to eat much more often on Bonaire. Not really sure where I'd go on Curacao besides Sunshine's Place and Jaanchies which are right in Westpunt. Enjoy, have a great time in either or both places. I know I will :)

Where on Curacao would you stay/dive with if you wanted to feel away from it all? Most the dive magazine show a splashier (not water) side. I prefer a laid back island but my usual group has a couple of non-divers who would like some civilization.

can't give any positive info but not ALL West, too far away. if have people who want excitement outside of the water and beaches this is not it :)
don't know any alternatives

Back to the OP's question, I would highly recommend the Sand Dollar Condos on Bonaire. I have stayed there a couple of times and I think they are a great value for the money. Right on the water and I had good experiences with their dive outfit BDA I think it is.

Bonaire scuba diving, Bonaire dive sites

I have made numerous trips to BOTH Bonaire and Curacao. I have been more to Curacao than Bonaire since I believe that shore access is far better in Curacao than Bonaire, diving is more pristine in Curacao and a LOT less divers in Curacao than Bonaire. Most dive sites in Curacao are accessible from shore (except perhaps for 2 - 3 spots). Most shore sites in Curacao are actually very nice beaches where one can spend the whole day there something that Bonaire doesn't have as many. Let's not forget about Porto Marie in Curacao. Curacao also has the option of being in a "happening town/city" if that's what you want or you can go west and get the feeling of a "secluded quiet" island yet still close to civilization if you wanted to be there. As far as I know, Curacao is far easier to get to than Bonaire and the trip is much shorter.

I am not putting Bonaire down at all, it is just that Curacao for me is better and more convenient. Bonaire still has it charm and great easy diving and I don't mind going there again still.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom