December Liveaboards in the Caribbean or Central America

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Todd999

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi we are thinking of doing liveaboard this December.

have you been on any of the below? or been to the areas in December?

looking for recommendations from people who have done 2 or three of the below.

Belize Aggressor III, Belize
Bahamas Aggressor, Bahamas
Roatan Aggressor, Honduras
Cayman Aggressor IV, Cayman Islands

I’d look into Turks and Caicos. I’ve done all of the above and T&C tops the list, with Belize #2. The problem with the Caymans boat is that you might not be able to make the crossing over to Little Cayman, where the best dives are, due to weather. I’ve heard good things about the new BVI Aggressor but I won’t get there to see for myself until next month.

I have been on the Aggressor boats During the Dec/Jan period for the last 14 years. Weather conditions during that time of year can affect the conditions. I am heading back to Roatan Aggressor the first week of Jan. Last Jan the winds were up and the week before the trip had heavy rains. So vis was down and the captain selected dive sites that were less affected by the winds.

On Turks the weather can affect which sites you get to since some of the sites require travel over the open ocean and the sites have less protection from the wind. Cayman the issue is the crossing from Grand Cayman to little Cayman. The boat normally won’t make the crossing if the seas are 6 foot or more. Did the crossing when the seas got high during the crossing and it was rough. Just about everyone skipped dinner and tried to sleep through the crossing. Number of us got sea sick.

The other thing to consider is water temperature. During the winter the temperature starts dropping. Turks can be 80 degrees to upper 70s. Same with Roatan. I get cold easy so I move to a 5mm wetsuit.

Hi @Todd999

I have been to Cayman and to Belize on the Aggressor

I went to Cayman on the CA V, now the BVI Aggressor, so can't comment on the IV. If you can't cross over to Little Cayman, the trip would be a big disappointment. Many of the Grand Cayman sites used by the Aggressor are not the best. I think winter would be risky. You can probably look at the Captain's Logs on the Aggressor website to see how often they get to Little Cayman at that time of the year.

I chose to go to Belize on the BA IV as I wanted to avoid bunk beds, too risky for me, especially in the middle of the night. I had a good trip. It appears that the BA IV is back in business following repairs after running aground

I’d look into Turks and Caicos. I’ve done all of the above and T&C tops the list, with Belize #2. The problem with the Caymans boat is that you might not be able to make the crossing over to Little Cayman, where the best dives are, due to weather. I’ve heard good things about the new BVI Aggressor but I won’t get there to see for myself until next month.
Thanks! I agree on Turks I have over 100 dives there over many trips so looking to try a new area this time.

Be very careful with the Aggressor Fleet. I had a great time in Belize and recommend it but Cayman is a disappointment and Bahamas Aggressor is a small and old boat. But my biggest issue is their lack of integrity.
In May I booked my Aug 24th trip for the Bahamas Aggressor, specifically asked for the lower bed and received confirmation of the lower bed in room 5. This was important to me because the boat is small and old and the top bunk is very small and claustrophobic.

Weeks later I was informed that I have been moved to the upper bed. Although I was upset, I understood that the waiver I signed when booking as a single passenger allows me to be moved in order to accommodate two guests traveling together.

The good news is that the 12 other guests were fantastic people and great divers. Altogether there were (including myself) 2 couples, 5 women, and 4 men on this trip, and I would happily go on a dive safari with any of them.

The crew were excellent and did their best under difficult circumstances with a host of technical and maintenance problems.

I won’t go into the technical problems with one of the compressors that resulted in us missing dives, having no Nitrox or proper a/c. etc. I’ll just speak about the absolute lack of integrity of this organization.

It turns out that shortly after I booked and paid for my trip, the Bahamas Aggressor had a low season $1000 discount in order to fill up the empty spaces on the boat. In fact, apart from myself, only one other woman guest paid full price.

There were 4 men traveling separately, I shared a room with a guy, and in the next room were 2 other men traveling separately. From the two rooms accommodating the four men, I had booked before all of them, and, I paid $1000 more than them because I booked before the promotional sale, and yet, after receiving confirmation of a lower bed, I was bumped to the top bunk in favor of people who booked after me and paid $1000 less than I did!! (again, I cannot overstate that these were the nicest of people and I have zero complaints against any of them)

I sent several emails to Aggressor asking that since my original booking wasn’t honored, and that the reason for my having been moved clearly went against the reason stated in the wavier, I should be given the same $1000 discount as all the other guests. Most of my emails fell on deaf ears (completely ignored!!) but eventually I received an answer from Larry Speaker, the VP of Operations, where he completely brushed me off, and even quoted his own Aggressor wavier which states “ I understand and agree any guest who books a single space in a stateroom, river cruise or safari lodge that is designed for two guests; will be subject to be moved to another room (with the person of the same gender) without being notified in order to free up space for two guests traveling together.” The 2 rooms with male guests were 4 people traveling separately, so he literally contradicted his own legal wavier!!! He also wrote “We do acknowledge that the ebb and flow of prices travel related products can be very frustrating. However, To make exceptions for one guest would not be fair to other guests who chose to book alternate dates or destinations in order to qualify for the various incentives that we offered. It would also not be fair to other guests in our fleets who are all paying full fare. As such, we can not offer you the refund requested. “ Ahhh hello???? Who am I if not the guest who paid full fare and was not given his confirmed accommodation in favor of a guest paying $1000 less!!!!!

The Aggressor Fleet acted against their own legal wavier and refuse to take responsibility and this shows a total lack of integrity.

Back
Top Bottom