December diving - Phuket? Khao Lak? Ko Lanta?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

myvek

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I would like to ask you for some information about diving in and around Phuket / Khao Lak / Ko Lanta in the third week of December, for a week.

The plan is to do the Rescue course along with some fun dives. I'm open to land-based or LOB, but what I'd really like is to be able to dive Richelieu Rock, Hin Daeng, and Hin Muang. Do you know of any LOB which covers all 3? If not, where do you think I should base myself to be able to dive all 3 spots?

Are there any dive shops, dive resorts, or LOBs that you would recommend in this area?

And what's the probability of spotting whale sharks and mantas in December? Or is Feb-April a better time to see them?

Thanks so much for your help!

Do rescue land based, much better value.

You can not combine those 3. Hin Daeng/Hin Muang has limiyted liveaboard options, but is doable on daytrips from Koh Lanta. Manhy liveaboards going to Richelieu Rock, but also doable on daytrips from Khao Lak.

Feb-April is better for whale sharks and manta's, but especially in the South we do see them year round.

Koh Lanta is definitely the best place for Hin Daeng/Hin Muang. Koh Ha is also a nice spot, and there are whale sharks around these sites at the moment. There have been a few manta sightings at Hin Daeng this last week too... The Phi Phi dive sites are also dived from Lanta...

Andaman Dive Adventure on Koh Lanta has spotted both Whale Sharks and Mantas in the last few weeks. Whale Sharks at Koh Ha, Hin Daeng , Bidas and Koh Rok. Mantas at Hin Daeng and Hin Muang.

How is the SEA condition in Ao Nang and Koh Lanta from late Sept to mid Oct? I know it is the low season but the flight from HKG to HKT is cheap (US$140.00) and accommodation is also less demanding.

Much appreciated.

How is the SEA condition in Ao Nang and Koh Lanta from late Sept to mid Oct? I know it is the low season but the flight from HKG to HKT is cheap (US$140.00) and accommodation is also less demanding.

Much appreciated.
Sometimes good, sometimes not so good.

Take into account that from 15 May till 15 October Hin Daeng, Hin Muang and Koh Haa are closed for diving to to the annual national park closure.

A quote from Bucket of Rain by Bob Dylan:
"Life is sad, Life is a bust.
All ya can do is do what you must
You do what you must do and ya do it well".

15th Oct! I should be back home by then.
That is life and diving is just a recreational sport.

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom