December 30 Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shugar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Disclaimer: This is going to be incomplete as i only did 2 of the 3 dives that day.

Disclaimer2: this is long.

Met up with my cousin Jaime and we headed off to Aquaventure to meet up with Carlo, Monique, Chip and Iris for some last minute 2005-type diving.

Our DM for the day was Joey, a 20+ year veteran of Anilao. Despite a last-minute screw-up I actually got to borrow a bp/w rig c/o Halthron :10: .

We got into 2 bancas and headed off to Mainit Point.

Dive 1: Mainit 8:38am
Max: 78 feet
Time: 48 minutes
Avg. Depth: 54 feet
Bottom Temp: 79F
Viz: +/- 20-30ft

Surface as usual was choppy so Joey decided to enter from a little further ahead of the dive site so that the current would swing us onto the good parts and we'd have a longer dive ahead of us.

Saw a very small yellow moray, a solitary King Trevally Jack (but nowhere near as huge as the last one I saw), a school of 2 kinds of trevallies rolling together. Of course small fish all over the place - like it was going out of style!

Chip said he saw a shark. I signed him that I thought it was bovine crap - I got the finger back for my efforts. Darned canuck.

Surface Interval Time: 1:17
We did our SI at a little rock beach on Maricaban Island very near to Sombrero. Gorged down Iris's chips and JellyAce while Spoon slept in the boat. Spent a good 10 minutes discussing the potential and viability of a Camelback being used as an underwater hydration system. Possibly narcosis talking here hahahaha

Dive 2: Beatriz 10:44am
Max: 81 feet
Time: 40 minutes
Avg. Depth: 48 feet
Bottom Temp: 79F
Viz: 40-50ft.

Took us a couple of minutes to position the boats for entry as the current was up. Joey tells us to do a (quick) negative descent and find shelter so the current doesn't throw us all to hell. Did that pretty ok, but I found out later that Jaime got screwed by that entry and almost aborted the dive but got to fix his equalization when the current dissipated a little at 30'.

Had a pretty good drift around the coral mounds. The guys were getting crowded around a medium sized yellow moray - it's a very unusual color - too bad Jaime and I chalked up an earlier yellow one hehehehe.

We also saw this huge lionfish (approx. 1.5 feet long) hiding under a rock. Current then picked up big time and we did all we could to hold on to what we could. Thankfully I brought my reef hook along and found a place to latch on too (no corals damaged or disturbed).

Then we drifted back with the current and when I latched on again Jaime grabbed on to my leg (the freeloader!)... I also find out later on that Chip (again the canuck!) was hanging on to my tank like a remora during that same time - I swear these people!

On the way back I noticed I was running air towards the advice level of 800psi (I had 1200) and that my comp was telling me I had a couple of minutes left at depth (we were at 60-ish). I slowly ascended to add time and looked to grab Iris's attention to tell her to come up with me (she didn't have a comp and was deeper than I was... it was time to reel her in). All of a sudden I look at my comp and it tells me I have a 10ft ceiling and a 5 minute deco stop! DAMNATION! I signal and mouth Joey my situation and we begin to head up.

Then I check my air - 500psi!!! At 40+ feet! AAAAARRRRGGGG!!! (how could I have been so stupid!?)

Well as I slowly try to make my way up the coral mound to shelter myself from the current, the darn comp tells me I now have to make a 7 minute deco. great. At 30ft I have a whopping 100psi left and Joey gives me the octo. I'm also screwed because I'm facing headlong into a raging current and I'm 20ft below my ceiling. Thankfully Spoon comes along and shares air from his endless supply (gotta love them doubles) and eventually detach to do some sort of hovering safety stop.

Exhausted, with an empty tank, sucking off a buddy's long hose, my butt's in the air and I'm doing all I can to keep below 10 feet (my deco ceiling). With a few minutes to spare in my deco I have no choice but to spit out the longhose and flip over into the surface (take note I'm just a couple of feet from the surface).

Well I eventually drag my sorry behind over the banca and we head off back to aquav for lunch. Turns out Jaime comes in at 100psi too and the whole dive whipped everyone. I up-chucked the SI Pringles off the side of the boat and luckily (surprisingly) nobody noticed.

Joey was not worried about the deco violation. His computer was nowhere near deco limits and since I had kicked my Mosquito's conservativeness up a notch I actually had a little more allowance. I monitored myself though for any additional symptoms like joint pains or continued nausea (I had a similar ep in feb, breathing too fast and upping my CO2 level).

Over lunch Jaime and I decided - out of exhaustion - not to do the 3rd dive. Me also since I didn't want to tempt fate or dive with a locked computer (w/c I managed to do thanks to not completing my deco).

What we did though was have a relaxing couple of beers out on the deck, where Bongskee the shop manager suggested I suck 5 minutes worth of pure O2 just as a hedge against any DCS probabilities. I actually felt better after that.

At the end of the day it was a very interesting and exciting way to end the year. It was, as usual, great diving with carlo, monique, chip and iris.

Pictures will follow as soon as chip gets off his duff and posts them.

Jag

nice, Jag.

Dive 1: I am not kidding! I actually saw a 4 foot white tip shark! I purposely positioned myself on the outside towards the deep part, that way I knew if you guys scared a shark, it would probably come my way! It was my first sighting so I was kinda enthralled before I got my act together to signal you guys. :)
Other notes:
* School of Trevally
* School of tuna
* cuttlefish: cool to see it change color when spoon got too close.
* Emperor Jack
* School of Yellow tail snappers
* Dog tooth tuna
* Iris roundhoused kicked me (payback for trying to stab her the day before :))
* Ribbon eel being territorial and came out about 2 feet - that thing is LONG!
* Scorpion fish <- hope the pic of mons turned out

Very relaxing dive. And I saw a shark. :)

Dive 2: Got hit by the current on both sides. Jag, I don't remember hanging on to you? Don't think it was me cause when the currents hit I stuck with Iris like a fly on doodoo. Glad you turned out ok-like joey's, my comp didn't enter deco either. I don't have any notable notes for this dive other than the humungous gorgonian.

Dive 3: Cave/Bat Cave
Max: 90 feet
Time: 50 mins
Viz: 15-20 m

Explored the cave we found during the dive marathon. Went in as far as we can single file until the hole was too small to fit doubles through. It was pretty decent but we were disappointed we couldn't go any further. It starts off a cavern, then a cave, then another cavern, then another cave. I'm guessing penetration was about 30 meters? That took only about 20 mins so we went to bat cave instead. Paid our respects to mama mary and just cruised the reef.

Notable notes:
* The cave fish were awesome to see shimmering against the flashlight but scared me at times!
* A school of bland fish (don't know name) followed us as usual at the DnT area.
* In the bat cave area, I was checking out a crevasse with matt along side me. Little did we know that we had stumbled upon the nest of the LARGEST TRIGGERFISH I'VE EVER SEEN (seriously about 3.5 feet long!) who definitely didn't take a liking to us being so close! Matt and I just booted away! hahaha. Definitely a funny experience. But not as funny as Matt laughing at me for the featherstar. :)

After the relaxing dive, Matt invited us for merienda (snacks) at his home resort, El Capitan. The spaghetti and meatsauce really hit the spot! Thanks Matt!

Iris stayed with Matt to be driven back to Quezon City, while Spoon, Mons, and I made our way back to AquaV.

Wow, too long guys. Sorry...Pics to follow...

Here are the pics:

35_iris_jaime_jag.JPG

Iris, Jaime, Jag, Joey. The sunrise shining down on us. I'm taking the pic from another boat. The bangkeros (boat drivers) raced for a bit which was pretty funny.

41_carlo_monique.JPG

Spoon and Mons. I wanted to be in the picture but they shunned me since I didn't have shades. Or their movie star looks. Poo on them.

47_group_during_SI.JPG

During the SI. Joey, Jaime, Jag, Iris, Mons. The new S club 7 group!

48_group_during_SI.JPG

Me with the group. Jaime's a little happier than the rest of us here.

53_spoons_idea_of_an_SI.JPG

Spoon couldn't pose cause I bludgeoned him with a rock and dumped him back on the bangka...

57_carlo_asleep.JPG

Just kidding. He was just sleeping. silly rabbit.

39_a_good_one.JPG

Spoon wanted me to take a pic of his baby so I did. (the doubles, not mons)

70_merienda.JPG

This is us eating merienda at El Capitan, courtesy of Matthew. Real men don't mix their spaghetti before eating it.

72_ppd_in.JPG

Before we go off to AquaV, we got one last pic. Mons thinks she looks Japanese. My belly's big from all the spaghetti...and san mig...and adobo...and sinigang... hey, I'll work it all off before Coron. :wink:

Yer belly looks big from too much time on SB and not in the water.....

You guys are diving more than i am these days.....Mons has a big knife!!! I guess its for those 3 foot white tips? :):)

Great pics once again...

Mike Veitch:
Yer belly looks big from too much time on SB and not in the water.....

You guys are diving more than i am these days.....Mons has a big knife!!! I guess its for those 3 foot white tips? :):)

Great pics once again...
thanks mike. Did I say 3 foot? I, er, meant 30 foot! heheheh. Anilao isn't known for the big pelagics. Can't feed them like you over there across the Philippine sea - or at least haven't tried.

And too true about spending too much time here on SB!...Life of a grad student - to perpetually procrasinate the thesis...

chip104:
And too true about spending too much time here on SB!...Life of a grad student - to perpetually procrasinate the thesis...

You'll find it doesn't change much out of school.....

Just changes to perpetually procrastinating work in interesting ways and still get paid....:wink:

Carlo (spoon), I like those twins... Nice, new and shiny. Cool tag too :) I bet you stayed over an hour underwater with those babies :)

chip104:
* In the bat cave area, I was checking out a crevasse with matt along side me. Little did we know that we had stumbled upon the nest of the LARGEST TRIGGERFISH I'VE EVER SEEN (seriously about 3.5 feet long!) who definitely didn't take a liking to us being so close! Matt and I just booted away! hahaha. Definitely a funny experience. But not as funny as Matt laughing at me for the featherstar. :)

Yeah, that was BIG, and we were very close. I think the others didnt see it. We were stunned, for a while I just stared at it while Chip pointed at it, until we realized we had to swim away.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom