Dec/Jan Dive Locations Quickly Accessible by Flight From BKK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My hubby and I first dived Thailand in 2009, the year after we were certified and loved it. We did Ko Lanta and the Similans, the latter on a LOB and one day trip. Unfortunately a year later, on the same route at the same time a terrible coral bleaching had decimated the reefs. At Christmas 2019 we gave Thailand another try and did Phi Phi, Lipe and Lanta. It was so good to see so much coral regrowth and so many fish, including some excellent macro in the sites near Ko Lipe and also Ko Haa.

The advantages of Thailand are of course the wonderful beaches, super food and some really nice boutique type, but pricey of course, resorts. We had no luck with mantas or anthying else in Hin Muang or Daeng, but the fish life was way more prolific than in the past. Also the entire trip would have been worthwhile because we had the utter joy of seeing beautiful Maya Bay restored to its original glory and beauty. Two Thai navy boats have blocked off the entera ce. Back in 1991 and before The a each, I went there on a long tail and never ever thought that I would see it looking so good again.

The diving is not as good as the Philippines or Indonesia, but you do have an excellent holiday there.
Thanks for the accurate assessment after the previous bickering.

Tragic news. Hopefully things improve soon. This was for a Dec 2024 trip. Hopefully things much better by then.

Tragic news. Hopefully things improve soon. This was for a Dec 2024 trip. Hopefully things much better by then.
I feel this is blown out of proportions due to the fact that Thailand has been spared from Covid for a long time. The number of daily cases mentioned here is just over 3,000, the UK with a comparable population has on a daily basis over 16,000 cases, has had those numbers for a long time now, but is considered on the way to recovery.

Bangkok is the main issue at the moment for the Kingdom.

Phuket affirms ready to reopen July 1

Phuket is opening to foreign tourism on 1st Jul and follow by the three islands on the east coast(15th Jul).
Vaccine plan on track to reopen 3 resort islands

Situation should be improved substantially over next few months when more Thais got fully vaccinated.

Keep the variants at bay.

I feel this is blown out of proportions due to the fact that Thailand has been spared from Covid for a long time. The number of daily cases mentioned here is just over 3,000, the UK with a comparable population has on a daily basis over 16,000 cases, has had those numbers for a long time now, but is considered on the way to recovery.
Agree...cases trending between 3-5k cases a day...not ideal but not an out of control pandemic (this in a mostly unvaccinated population).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom