Dec. 22, 2012 Possession Point (East Sooke, Victoria-area) video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey, great video! Even with the crappy vis it has me antsy for my week of Vancouver area diving in February.

What do you use for a video setup?

The wide-angle stuff is from a Canon T2i (with an 8mm fisheye lens) in a 1970's or 80's Ikelite housing. The close-up video was from a Canon HF-M40 camcorder in another 1970's Ikelite housing. The light is a home-made LED light.

Cool, thanks for the info. I want to get into doing (better) video as well. I am currently using a first gen GoPro HD Hero. I have a Canon T1i that I am proficient with on land but lack a housing for UW use. I am actually a bit fearful of flooding it in reality but I saw the other day that a New T3i kit is less than the price I paid for my T1i so that fear is somewhat lessened...

Do you have any pics of your light rig by chance?

Looks like an awesome spot Mark. On the swankenstein scale of potentially disasterous entrys where would you rate this one?

Looks like an awesome spot Mark. On the swankenstein scale of potentially disasterous entrys where would you rate this one?
On most days, I'd say it's a 10 on the disastrous scale (meaning: inaccessible). When the Sooke tide table is showing less than 6 feet, it's almost impossible to get out of the water since the rocks at the entry-point drop straight down in a little underwater cliff. At tides higher than 6 feet, there's a little ledge to use as a step. Even on windless days there can be a swell, which makes getting out of the water pretty rough on drysuits with all the mussels and barnacles. The trail down is not that long, but it is steep and can be slippery. On days with a high tide and no swell, access is no big deal (except for the hike back up the hill). Most of the days I've dove here, there was an abnormally small swell. On most days, you can hear the roaring waves from the top of the cliffs before you can see the water.

Back
Top Bottom