Death Sunday at Dutch Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Take this for what its worth...but from what I heard today, he was diving a rebreather but he was not diving alone..
he was supposedly diving it yesterday and had some problems with it...so the "theory" is that this was a equipment failure ...the story as I heard it is that he was signaling his buddy's to go up, but lost consciousness on the way up...he then "fell" back down and on the way down hit his head pretty hard on one of the platforms ..he was then brought to the surface but never regained consciousness.

I was there today and this story came from someone who was present..but again, take it with a grain of salt.....

For the sake of ease of reading, I'm pasting this post. Negativ11,in post #20, states that CrossHairs account is accurate, AS FAR AS HE KNOWS.

---------- Post added August 20th, 2013 at 09:21 PM ----------

Was the victim in a class?

Good question.

Did the diver have a bailout bottle?

As others have said, he need only feel proud for having made the attempt.

We reviewed the techniques for rescue of an unresponsive diver from depth in a paper published in UHM late last year. It can be downloaded from a link on this page:

UHMS #39 Paper on Unconscious Diver Recovery

One of the points we are at great pains to make in this paper is that even a textbook perfect rescue / resuscitation is likely to result in a poor outcome, unfortunately.

Simon Mitchell on behalf of the UHMS Diving Committee

Welcome to SB Simon Your contribution to dive medicine is legendary and it is great to see you bring your wealth of knowledge here.

tpylons I am happy to hear that your buddy is doing better. The sad reality is that we will all die sometime so not everyone can be saved. The knowledge that there were caring people like your buddy doing everything possible for the victim is incredibly valuable to the person's loved ones in their healing process!

Reactions: Jax
As others have said, he need only feel proud for having made the attempt.

We reviewed the techniques for rescue of an unresponsive diver from depth in a paper published in UHM late last year. It can be downloaded from a link on this page:

UHMS #39 Paper on Unconscious Diver Recovery

One of the points we are at great pains to make in this paper is that even a textbook perfect rescue / resuscitation is likely to result in a poor outcome, unfortunately.

Simon Mitchell on behalf of the UHMS Diving Committee

Some - would it be possible to link the download directly from this website? I dont want to sign up for additional forums at this time.....I dont need any MORE distactions from work!

I would be happy to send the paper to a moderator who could put it somewhere on the site server and link to it. Would this work. The UHMS has been very generous in their attitude to this paper and allowing its distribution. I am sure they would not object. If a mod would like to pm me an email address to which I can send the paper, I will send it straight away.

Simon M

I would be happy to send the paper to a moderator who could put it somewhere on the site server and link to it. Would this work. The UHMS has been very generous in their attitude to this paper and allowing its distribution. I am sure they would not object. If a mod would like to pm me an email address to which I can send the paper, I will send it straight away.

Simon M
I think you can just attach it to a post thru the Manage Attachments option below the posting box. Look for this...
MA.JPG

The document is 991 Kb, [-]and while I do not know the maximum allowed here, I just loaded a test document of 944 Kb in the testing forum with no problem.[/-] I have since been advised that you can upload up to 2 Mb.

PM sent

Last edited:
Did the diver have a bailout bottle?

Bailout gas is useless if you don't bailout. Some CCR divers also rely on OC divers that "conveniently" carry bailout for them. Denial when faced with problems is also a reality as divers want to trust their machines. These are very broad blanket statement and does not hold true for all CCR divers, but it does happen.

It would be very interesting to get more insight into what really happened.

Well, that's rather obvious. Just trying to get a better picture and interested in the facts. Was the diver on CCR or SCR? Which model? What was his experience on the rig that was used? Was he carrying a bailout bottle? He dove the unit the day before and reported a problem, what was the problem? What was the status of the scrubber?

I am not an active CCR diver, I have trained on the Prism2 and KISS GEM. During all phases of training the instructor(s) stressed BAILOUT! Any doubt, just bailout.

The point is although it's obvious, even experienced people don't do it when they should e.g Dave Shaw, Wes Skiles

Your questions are all valid although maybe not relevant, but I don't think anyone knows the answers yet except one guy and he's not around to say

Bailout gas is useless if you don't bailout. Some CCR divers also rely on OC divers that "conveniently" carry bailout for them...

When I teach CCR programs and we discuss so-called mixed teams of OC and CCR divers, I stress that the bailout each CCR diver MUST carry is potentially for their OC buddies to use... and NOT the other way round! LOL

Reactions: Jax
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom