Death of a very famous Free Diver.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seaangel once bubbled...
Aquatec,
First:
The Freediving special that I watched on the Outdoor Channel was several months ago, this was months before the Freediving that cost her life. It was not billed as a competition, she was attempting to break records, but isn't that a competion of sorts?
Even if breaking ones own record or others that equals competition to me. Not saying that is bad, I think that is a human quality we all seem to have.

Second: I verified with my husband who also watched and he remembered she did have a cold and had headcongestion. He recalled that when interviewed she was somewhat concerned but not enough to call the dive. Again this was not the same freedive in which she lost her life, it was at another time.

Third: Yes, all diving be it free diving or scuba does have hazards that all prudent divers should be aware of. We all need to be willing to call a dive if need be. Also, I think being overly confident may not be a good thing. We should keep the hazards ever present and not forget the basics we were taught.

This is not meant to offend anyone, just my personal feelings on the safety and hazards of all diving.

Get wet and be safe.

I think that you have addressed this to the wrong person, I know nothing about anybody divng with a cold......i do agrre with you that breaking record is a competition.

My previous reply was addressed incorrect. I was replying to the response from Freediver.

I'm kind of new to scuba diving (like 10 dives), but have been into rock climbing for many many years, and it's interesting to see some of the similarities between the sports--especially at the extremes... There's the same measure of respect for someone who pushes the limits together with the knowledge that it's inheirantly dangerous... Is it worth it to push the extremes? And can I judge that for anyone but myself? (As long as it's only my ass on the line)...

You see it in the mountains when parties face deadly weather and push themselves to set the new standards (like no oxy, solo ascents or free-soloing a rock climb in xx hours)...

I think it's natural to wonder at what drives people to test those limits--and maybe fame/sponsors play a part of it, or maybe that's really inconsequential to whatever drives someone beneath the skin. I'm always awed because I'm pretty risk adverse, but my definition of acceptable risks definately change as my experience and ability grow...

I think what appeals to me about both climbing and diving is that it's all about managing risk--trying to learn as much about my phyisical, emotional, skill limits etc... I know I'm rambling, and probably boring the hell out of everyone, but I think it's good to think about why I'm diving. For myself. Selfish, yeah, but I don't think that's a bad thing...

chepar once bubbled...

What's happening on the 25th? Is this a freediving competition?

International freediving championships in Kona

Hi,
I heard the news today on CNN, but must admit I don't know much about the sport of free diving. can anyone explain the process? I assume the 'sled' takes them down? And back up again? No mask, not tank? On one 'breath' before the descent?

What one must do to achieve the record?

?

AquaTec once bubbled...

Thats why i was clarifing it for everybody, credit should go where credit is due

WORLD CHAMPION FREEDIVER, TANYA STREETER SHATTERS BOTH MEN AND WOMEN'S WORLD RECORDS AT CLUB MED TURKOISE, TURKS AND CAICOS

It has never been this deep!
MIAMI-August 17, 2002- A new Freediving World Record has been set today in the waters of Club Med Turkoise in Providenciales, Turks and Caicos. World Champion Freediver, Tanya Streeter, reached her goal depth of 160m/525ft in a total dive time of 3 minutes and 26 seconds. This dive shatters the previous women's No Limits World Record held by Canadian, Mandy-Rae Cruickshank (136m/446ft) and even surpasses the men's No Limits World Record of 154m/505ft held by Frenchman, Loic LeFerme. Streeter has clearly shown her determination and passion to prove her psychological and physiological endurance capabilities by redefining her limits!

http://www.redefineyourlimits.com/ProvoDiary/Record/record.html

Tanya Streeter has the AIDA record. There are two other associations with their own records, FREE and IAFD, sort of like boxing. :)

Pipin's 162 m IAFD record is deeper than Streeter's 160 m AIDA record.

Ralph

rcohn once bubbled...

Tanya Streeter has the AIDA record. There are two other associations with their own records, FREE and IAFD, sort of like boxing. :)

Pipin's 162 m IAFD record is deeper than Streeter's 16o m AIDA record.

Ralph

AHHHH! Now I know! And knowing is half the battle! I was wondering how a 160meter dive was a record over a 162 meter dive. :confused:

Scuba446 once bubbled...
Hi,
I heard the news today on CNN, but must admit I don't know much about the sport of free diving. can anyone explain the process? I assume the 'sled' takes them down? And back up again? No mask, not tank? On one 'breath' before the descent?

What one must do to achieve the record?

?

A few years back they made a movie about freediving titled Deep Blue. I am not sure how accurate that is being a movie made by Hollywood. One breath of air, ride a sled down to depth, inflate a lift bag (am I correct here?) and ride it to the surface. Oh, don't forget as you ascend to wave to AquaTec and Chepar. Both could be the support divers. Cheers!

Dan

freediver once bubbled...
the greatest risk in freediving, as is in scuba, is not the depth achieved, but the ascent.
Exactly, but the deeper you are the greater the risk will be on the ascent and that's MY point. It sounds to me like you're making it sound as though the risk isn't considerable just because one has experience doing dives like this. Like I said, "I respectfully disagree" with you on that. You don't have to get upset and bash my opinion just because I don't have as much "experience" as you.

Back
Top Bottom