Death by Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This thread started with the proffering of the notion that has been an increase in diver fatalities lately. Do we know this to be true? Is it perception or a statistical fact?
No, no "evidence" was presented to support this opinion. The assumption simply is not true. There is no "rise" or "more" deaths in scuba currently. It is observation bias....
Observational bias? Where do you get your data? Are you biased by relying upon sources with blind faith? Pillars of the community can have feet of clay. Lies, damn lies, and statistics show dive fatalities up 60%
Some data shows that newer divers are at MUCH greater risk vs. older divers who have better learned how to avoid mishap. If green dive pros are encouraged to trivialize the factual hazards of diving, that could increase mishaps for their students.

Arguably, the only legitimate way to calculate risk is by "exposure time."
The white-water rafting industry calculates their safety statistics based upon days-on-river (i.e. exposure time) per participant. The ski industry tracks accidents by days-on-mountain. Given the size of the global recreational dive industry - over $1 billion p/y, and the preoccupation with statistical tracking to determine safe decompression algorithms, it's suspicious that dive accident data is so murky.

In response to a triple dive fatality, the Abacus Project attempted to bring clarity to dive risks. For 14 months in British Columbia, the number of dive tank air-fills were tracked vs. local recreational dive accidents. Assuming that nothing in this study was "gamed" (i.e. knowing this first-of-its-kind study might impact liability insurance rates, could participating retailers over-report the number of air-fills? Also, local dive professionals may have increased their vigilance for safety above their norm.)

Results: 2.05 deaths per 100,000 dives.

The three victims were all new divers; two died during training, a third was just certified and died while accompanied by an instructor.

Let's factor each "Abacus" dive as a 1-hour "exposure" to risk. Compare that to occupancy time in automobiles. DOT (Department of Transportation) tracks fatalities-per-million-miles-driven, but they don't know the average speed. To be charitable we'll divide those miles by 60 MPH to net total hours of exposure (of course vehicles average less than 60 MPH).

So...2008 saw 37,260 auto fatalities in 2.926 Trillion miles. Allowing 60 MPH average speed, that’s 48.766 Billion hours of moving automobiles. Allowing 1.2 occupants per vehicle, that’s 58.52 Billion total vehicle occupant hours = 0.0637 fatalities per 100,000 occupant hours of auto travel. The Abacus results are 32X more fatalities-per-hour-of-exposure vs. automobile occupancy.

A Japanese study mentioned in the Undercurrent newsletter, June 2001, found diving between 39X and 62X deadlier than being in an automobile: (from page 16 / bottom of last page of the PDF)
Back in the driver’s seat: How often have you heard that diving is: “A lot safer than driving down a freeway, right?” Japanese researchers decided to find out. Deaths per participant were no measure of safety, they thought. A better measure would be deaths per hour engaged in the activity. In looking at Japanese diverand traffic deaths, they found the diving fatality rate to be “10.6 - 24.4 and 15.3 -19.7 with 95 percent and 50 percent of confidence respectively whereas that of driving was 0.206 - 0.270 and 0.232 - 0.244.” This means that recreational diving is 39 and 62 times riskier with 95 percent and 50 percent confidence, respectively, than driving a car.
Ikeda, T. and Ashida, H., Is Recreational Diving Safe? Division of Environmental Medicine and Division of Biomedical Information Sciences, National Defense Medical College Research Institute, Tokorozawa, Japan.​
----
I believe a lackadaisical attitude for safety increases diver deaths. But opinion isn't data, so make up your own minds. There is provocative data from DAN: while many dive pros claim, "Diving is as safe as bowling," DAN reported a 60% spike in dive deaths in 2007 -- a 30-year peak -- the worst year-to-year % jump in 20-years. From DAN’s 2008 report, (printed in 2009 RE 2007 deaths, page 8):
DAN_Fatality_Chart.jpg

The 2007 spike in fatalities coincides with the start of the "Be A Diver" marketing campaign. Coincidence?

Safe_as_Bowling_at_BAD.com.jpg

To be clear of my agenda... I don't want a Nanny state or a country where kids grow up afraid to take risks. I'm no Chicken Little and have taken plenty of calculated risks in diving and aviation. I started flying hang gliders in 1973 and as a director / cameraman have ~2,000 hours filming from fixed-wing and helicopters - usually flying too low, too fast or in locations too remote to survive the unexpected. I believe in planning for the worst and have had the privilege to work with some of the best pilots and mechanics in the world. I've been consulted after movie aviation tragedies when "experts" cut corners. In basic aviation, students are taught to analyze disasters, so they may better avoid being fodder for future students. Accidents are horrible for the victim's family, and bad for business. Pretending that hazards don't exist to lure customers is simply wrong. A genuine safety record will lure plenty of customers.

OK, who's ready to earn extra credit?
(A) Cite the source data that was used to make the bowling claim.
(B) Characterize the reliability of that source data that was used to make the bowling claim.
(C) What other data-sets were excluded to make the bowling claim.
--------------
Let's put this old game in perspective...
Tobacco_propaganda.jpg
Extra credit questions
(A) Cite the source data that was used to make the bowling claim: a tiny phone-survey mashed up with reports from a few hospitals
(B) Characterize the reliability of that source data that was used to make the bowling claim: poor
(C) What other data-sets were excluded to make the bowling claim: DAN's and PADI's

Fatalities:
A report from a 2006 “Risk management” seminar disclosed a dive fatality rate, per one insurance company exec, to be FAR HIGHER than what DAN reports - his statement implies >600 dive fatalities per year. Do Pooh-Bahs at the top of the industry’s pyramid coerce DMs and Instructors to “KEEP SECRETS for the good of the industry?”
SeeNoEvilSayNoEvilSpeakNoEvil.jpg

I love diving and I love decent, hard-working dive pros. Just about everybody I’ve ever read on ScubaBoard I consider on the high side of the bell curve, sharing, at heart, what's in the best interests of newbies. We may disagree on process. Dive pros already make a financial sacrifice for the sport; they should not have to be apologists for those who spout that every single fatality was inevitable.

When Drew Richardson, now PADI’s president and COO, published a paper that cited data from the National Safety Council and DAN, which claimed diving's safety record under PADI protocol was comparable to bowling, did anyone actually investigate the nature and reliability of the data sources cited by Drew?

The bowling claim began in 1992, published by DAN in their annual report of dive fatalities that occurred in 1990 (see pages 9-10). But where did DAN get their data to make this comparison to bowling? Apparently, not from training agency or insurance company accident reports. AND NOT FROM DAN’S OWN DATABASE OF PRIOR INJURIES AND FATALITIES.
DAN’s numerator (number of victims) and denominator (universe of divers) are from two different data sources, which are both entirely outside the dive industry. In summary:
US government CPSC-NEISS data forecast from 1994, Fatalities / DCI:---- 0 / 0;
DAN as reported for 1994 ----------------------------------Fatalities / DCI: 104 / ~1,150).
For the numerator (total number of injuries): DAN used NEISS data from the US CPSC. NEISS gets reports from 90 hospital emergency rooms, scattered around the country, to estimate total the injuries that require treatment in America’s 7,500 hospitals (estimate). Divers who require recompression treatments go directly to hyperbaric chamber facilities, usually bypassing any NEISS-participating emergency rooms. Scuba accidents reported to NEISS throughout the 1990’s averaged less than 31 per year - too tiny a number from which to accurately forecast.

NEISS is notable for what accident data it does not report: automobile / motorcycle / firearm / food / medical product or drug interactions are all not reported. Instead, NEISS focuses on accidents associated with products that fall under the purview of the CPSC. For instance, “I fell down” (not caused by a product) is not reported to NEISS. Activities with higher frequency (e.g. cooking, biking and skating) produce vastly bigger datasets, and thus more reliable forecasts [NEISS guidelines]

In 4 out of the 9 years from 2000 to 2008, NEISS could not estimate national scuba accidents, because too few accidents were reported. To query the NEISS system: enter “Neiss Product Code” #: 1275 for scuba accidents in the FIRST “FROM” BOX. Run the query again for snorkeling accidents, enter code: 3274

For the denominator (the total number of divers): DAN picked 2.6 million divers, per a survey from the National Sporting Goods Association (NSGA). NSGA queried 20,000 homes, but NSGA has no data from dive retailers and training agencies. How the homes were selected is not known, nor what metric classified a “diver” (i.e. if someone dove once in the last five years are they included?). The larger the denominator, the safer diving appears to be.

A second source alleging a higher fatality rate:
700-800 dive deaths occur per year, per a published estimate using DAN / UHMS data that is restricted to medical researchers (per phone conversation with Dr. Shepherd). DAN’s annual accident reports disclose that the published deaths are only those with “sufficient” data; excluded are cases in litigation. It is believed that if cardiac failure appeared to be the cause of death, cases are not reported or not fully investigated by DAN. Notably, it is not possible to know if water aspiration occurred first, which may have triggered cardiac failure culminating in drowning, according to a world Jerome H. Modell, MD, arguably the single most respected medical professional in the United States regarding drownings.

Regardless of the total number of fatalities, I personally believe it is misleading to use the # of divers as a denominator. It should be the # of dives (i.e. exposure times vs. accidents) as I’ve posted here with factual citations from other industries.

Arguably, blind faith in the claim of diving’s safety might instill a lackadaisical attitude toward safety with some dive professionals, which might actually amplify hazards to cause more dive fatalities. Or, as Voltaire warned: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Has PADI "Taken the Fifth?"
Definitive statistics about diving accidents simply don’t exist. How can that be? During litigation, court records can be obtained, but once cases are sealed those records “disappear” from the “Pacer” legal document database. Public records related to a 2004 DSD accident, eventually settled in 2008, reveals that PADI's attorneys claimed Fifth and Fourteenth Amendment protection in pre-trial motions, presumably to keep their accident statistics secret.
Isham v. PADI first-complaint (Isham and his student were both severely injured)

Isham’s amended-complaint (7/2007) alleges that each year 40 fatalities and 400 serious injuries occur to participants and/or instructors during PADI DSDs (#31-32).

PADI’s first Response to Isham (item #49 invokes fifth and fourteenth amendments protection for PADI defendants).

Judge Ezra denied PADI’s motion to dismiss joint plaintiff claims of fraudulent concealment and negligent misrepresentation [of hazards] (April 2008); PADI continued their defense until the case settled and was sealed (November 2008, over 4 years after the accident). THIS DOCUMENT IS A MUST-READ
Per DAN:
"Dan is not a primary investigative agency...How many [fatality] cases the [DAN] system misses is unknown."

Echoing TSandM's comment - "you can't cure stupid" (actually it can be but it is permanent :wink:).

You will find a spectrum of folks in diving.

1) Similar to those who carry a firearm for protection. There are those who go to the range weekly/monthly to practice and then there are those who only shoot for qualification. (Which one would you rather be if attacked?)

2) Similar to drivers of automobiles. There are those who take defensive driving to keep their skills up (and save money on insurance) and those who only take it to get out of a ticket. (Which one would you rather be if "quick-action" needed?)

3) Similar to Paramedics. There are those who view the certification as a beginning (called Medics in Texas) and those who view the certification as an end (called Red Patches in Texas). (Which one would you rather have work on a loved one?)

4) Similar to law enforcement officers (LEOs). There are those who practice weekly/monthly on the range and those who shoot annually for qualification. (Which one would you rather have as a partner??)

Shall I continue??

When it is all said and done, I AM RESPONSIBLE for my safety and education.

My daughter (20) started diving at age 14. We just did a pool-refresher for ALL basic skills and added a few (CESA, buddy-breathing, deploying SMB). She just now gets the concepts of depth/pressure/volume but I saw the light come ON :) I am HUGE on safety (not dispensing with all risk but controlling best possible). I encourage her to ALWAYS practice the BASICS as these will help keep you safe.

When we talk about things in general, I ask basic physic questions and say, "Oh you mean like being at 2 ATMs??" The more someone uses knowledge and skills in the right attitude, the more likely one is to enjoy life without undue risk.

But, what do I know??? Just a father trying to pass on to his daughter the lessons learned from the "School of HardKnocks"

I will leave you with a phrase I picked up along the way (sorry, dementia prevents me remembering the source) - "It is your attitude, not your aptitude, that will determine your altitude.":cool2:

How many during time of an almost euphoric peace, chose to be
unable to continue, at the point inevitably too late to return from

Sounds like Wordsworth....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom