Dear Doctor Deco

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GotAir

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a plate in my head from a car accidnet years ago, which does not seem to cause problems, but I also have nerve damage to one eye. All my training was done in Costa Rica, where they did not require a physician to okay me for diving, but now I wonder. Should I see a dive doctor about this, and can you refer me to any between Hot Springs Arkansas and Dallas Texas?"
I have dove to a depth of 110 ft several time's with no problem's
Mike

Have you considered calling DAN? 919-684-8111

Cave Diver once bubbled...
Have you considered calling DAN? 919-684-8111

Their toll free number is 800-446-2671

However, as another said on a differetnt forum yesterday: "DAN's roster of diving physicians, and especially in specialties like oncology, is quite thin. In other than major metropolitan areas, and even at that it's uncertain, it is very unlikely that they'll have anything to offer."

So even though your request is not in oncology, asking for a referral here is a good idea. I'm sure DocV :doc: will offer his suggestions soon.

good luck, don

Dear SCUBA SOURCE Readers:

In that neck of the woods, I do not know anyone who could see you concerning diving. Call DAN is the best advice that I could give to you at the present time. :doc:

Dr Deco :doctor:

I would think you should be ok. I have 12 plates that make up my face with 48 stainless screws. My eyesockes, nose, cheeckbones and sinuses were rebuilt with titatium plates. After 2 years the bones grew back inplace and over the plates.
I have no major problems with diving. The only concern I have is with the cold. If its 45 deg or colder, I get a crazy migraine and I feel like offing myself. Oh yeah and the damn airport scanners.
You should be fine. Call DAN.

Kyle

Now I dont feel like the only one with a plate out here. in a pissing contest you WIN hands down by far :) sorry to here about the Migriane tho. I'm gona call Dan and I can predict what there gona say. Dan rep: Well Mike I think you should throw caution to the wind and go ahead a dive. Sure like thats gona happen. I think its more like shell out as much bucks as you have and then some to find somebody to say NO you shouldnt dive.

Whalerkyle we should get together and share some of these :cheers: as we tell our war stories Mike

Dear Got Air:

What to expect

“If you ask a tailor, expect him to recommend leather.” As you stated, a physician will always take the cautious, conservative position. That is the nature of health care; you will not have a diving problem with your head if you do not dive.

On the other side, quite a few people have plates in their skulls, and many of these people dive. This is not an absolute contraindication (restriction) to diving.

There are many things in contemporary America that add to the burden of “obtaining permission.” Physicians blame lawyers who in turn claim it is the people who hire them (and want themselves exonerated from all responsibility).

Dr Deco :doctor:

A very nice man John R said I could go to my local doc and he could consult a Dive doc on my behalf. John was concerned about things like if I had any problems in the recent past like bleeding seisure or headache's, which I have not had so I'll do the tests and return to diving and be confident that I wouldnt be a burden to my buddy or myself. Don thanks for the 800 number. Mike

All's well that ends well.

Dr D.:doctor:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom