Deadly turtle meat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jigo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
3 kids die, 100 others ‘poisoned’ by turtle meat in Cagayan island [1]

abs-cbnNEWS.com | 08/18/2009 9:33 PM

3 children have died while 100 others from an island in Aparri town in Cagayan province were treated in a hospital reportedly after eating meat from a turtle found by residents.

Moriel Agarpao, a resident of Sitio Calinebneb in Fuga island of Aparri, said he and some of his neighbors took a turtle they found on the beach and had it butchered and cooked for eating last Thursday.

“Nakita lang namin kinatay namin at niluto,” said Agarpao of the turtle.

Several other families reportedly also partook of the meat and also ate it.

After a while however, Agarpao said members of his family began feeling weak and having stomach aches, all at the same time.

“Bigla na lang kaming nakaramdam ng sakit sa tiyan, saka nanghihina kami,” also said Emiliana Agarpao.

The other families and neighbors who also ate the meat complained of stomach aches and said they too were feeling weak.

By Friday however, 3 children have died. First was Tirso Fernando, 6 years old; then his 10-month old baby brother, MJ; then 3-year old Rodelyn dela Cruz.

Rodelyn’s mother Girlie and the Agarpaos have taken their other children who were also suffering from stomach aches to a hospital in Claveria town in the mainland. The other residents of Sitio Calinebneb affected also have gone to the hospital.

Some of the affected residents reportedly endured four days almost without medicine and away from the hospital since the Fuga Island residents have to ride a banca and travel for four hours to reach the hospital in Claveria.

View Fuga Island, Cagayan [12] in a larger map

Toxins

Hospital officials said more than 100 persons have been treated for food poisoning since Monday.

“May toxin na na-intake. Ang mga pasyente nakakaramdam ng pagsusuka, iyong iba pagtatae. Tapos may effect pa na humahapdi ‘yong sikmura,” said Dr. Solferino Agra Jr.

“Iyong iba in-admit namin pero iyong iba binigyan namin ng gamot na pang-rehydrate para sa sakit ng sikmura saka para mawala iyong toxic sa tiyan,” said Reynita Realin, the hospital’s chief nurse

Luzviminda Corpuz said her 1 year and 2 months old baby also ate the turtle meat but started vomiting only Tuesday. Her baby was immediately confined in the hospital.

“Okay lang siya kanina, tapos bigla na lang na nagsuka tapos nanghina na lang bigla,” said Corpuz.

Some of the affected Sitio Calinebneb residents who have responded well to treatment have been sent home. They received medicine injections in the hospital and were also given medicines before sent home.

Aparri town officials reportedly shouldered part of the medical and hospital expenses but some of the Fuga Island residents were still worried where to get funds to buy their medicine. From a report of Brigette Mayor, ABS-CBN News Cagayan Valley
as of 08/18/2009 9:33 PM

Very sad indeed! :depressed: I didn,t understand all of the article, my Tagalog not being quite up to par. Did they mention of the poisonings were due to toxins in the meat (from bioaccumulation), of from the meat being bad (unsuitable for consumption)?

It's the first time I hear of people having problems from eating turtle...

Sympathies to those having lost children.:depressed: being a new dad, I cringe at the thought of anything happening to my girl...:depressed:

Several species of turtles, mostly hawksbills, can prove to be poisonous to humans. There was cases of it in Rangiroa when i was there. Comes from accumulation of what they eat, the algae or whatever the case. Similar to red tide or ciguatera

That,s what I suspected, but had never heard of it before. Kind of like baracuda that accumulate the toxins of the fish they prey on... I would have thought locals would know about this though and avoid them...
Oh well...:depressed:
Several species of turtles, mostly hawksbills, can prove to be poisonous to humans. There was cases of it in Rangiroa when i was there. Comes from accumulation of what they eat, the algae or whatever the case. Similar to red tide or ciguatera

If the turtle was dead and had been there for awhile, I imagine it was spoiled. Any mention if the turtle was dead or alive?

"we found it, butchered it and ate it..."

I would surmise from this that they found a dead or dying turtle at or near the shore... maybe something caught in a net or injured/ washed ashore...

mixed feelings really... it's so sad that the kids had to pay the ultimate price of poverty, but also a shame that they had to die at the expense of an endangered turtle as well...

Sigh...

then again, for $20,000 i'd gladly feed that poisonous turtle to GMA and her ilk (and a bunch from the opposition as well)...

sana sila nalang ang kunin ni lord...

oh, and willie revillame and kris aquino too...

Jag

best to spread the word and maybe some people will think twice about butchering sea turtles, dead or alive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom