Deadly labor day weekend in the keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deeper thoughts

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Two snorkelers die in Florida Keys
Posted on Sun, Sep. 02, 2007Digg del.icio.us AIM reprint print email

TAVERNIER, Fla. -- (AP) -- Two snorkelers died in separate accidents during the busy Labor Day holiday weekend in the Florida Keys, officials said Sunday.

###, 31, of Orlando, died Saturday after he was run over by a 25-foot vessel while snorkeling off a boat in the Atlantic Ocean near Bahia Honda State Park, said Officer Bobby Dube, spokesman for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

The operator of the 25-foot boat told officials he didn't see ##dive flag until it was too late and tried to veer away before feeling a thump underneath, Dube said.

### suffered two severe propeller wounds to his head, Dube said. He was taken ashore to the state park, where he died.

Dube said ### dive flag was improperly displayed because it was too small and not visible by 360 degrees. Charges are pending for the boat operator.

Also Saturday, another man from Orlando died while snorkeling for lobster on a vacation to celebrate his wedding anniversary.

####, 37, was found on the ocean bottom less than two miles off Islamorada, Dube said. He was holding on to a rope tied to a 24-foot boat being driven by his wife when he disappeared, Dube said.

Tourists flocked to the island chain for the holiday weekend, posing a challenge for authorities who must keep order and respond to emergencies on land and at sea.

Aside from the two deaths, officers also were involved in a complicated rescue attempt when a 20-foot boat plunged 70 feet into a patch of mangroves near Tavernier Creek, Dube said.

Four injured people were taken to hospitals after about 20 officers teamed up to rescue the group among twisted mangrove roots and foliage.

Dube called Saturday the busiest day he's seen in 18 years.

''It was just one thing after another,'' he said.

Sometimes the Keys just scare me. It is like people see blue water, coral reefs, and lobsters, then leave their common sense and decency at MM 120.

I cant tell you how many times I have heard boats scream over my bubbles....

What a shame for these two snorkelers. It pains me to say that I'm not hugely surprised about the first death. As another poster noted, there can be a crazy amount of boat traffic near the reefs throughout the Keys. I've dived with a few operators in Key Largo and Key West, and I was always leary about my ascent, looking EVERYWHERE for boats.
Be careful out there!!

Glock Diver:
What a shame for these two snorkelers. It pains me to say that I'm not hugely surprised about the first death. As another poster noted, there can be a crazy amount of boat traffic near the reefs throughout the Keys. I've dived with a few operators in Key Largo and Key West, and I was always leary about my ascent, looking EVERYWHERE for boats.
Be careful out there!!

I never go to the Keys on Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day. It's crazy down there. My sympathies go out to the families who must deal with the aftermath of these senseless deaths. :palmtree: Bob

http://
sandbar2.jpg
[/IMG]

This was the sandbar off Islamorada yesterday!

deeper thoughts:
sandbar2.jpg

This was the sandbar off Islamorada yesterday!

I'm curious, whats the attraction out there anyways! We noticed all those boats parked there when we were in Key Largo a few weeks ago. Every day all these boats would be lined up off Islamorada. Looked like an offshore marina... Are they just partying or are they fishing or something?

Drinking,bikinis, music and sun. My wife and I will go there during the week when its empty just to relax but never when the crowds are there.

Back
Top Bottom