Dead computer - No backup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the six years I've been in Belize I've had four new batteries, and I suspect the one I have now won't last too much longer. This computer has a combination of inefficient electronics and a corporate attitude of "we know best". At a dive show in England I spoke to one of the top directors from Finland and asked him to explain their policy.

"The computer needs to be opened in a properly equipped workshop so it can be pressure tested afterwards".

"How come you sell other models that do have user-replaceable batteries? What's special about the Stinger?"

No coherent answer, but to be fair this was standing at a stall with lots of people milling around.

"How can I get the special tool needed to open it?"

"You have to have attended a technician course".

"How do I do that?"

"You need to be a dealer first. Each authorised dealer can nominate one person a year to attend the technician course."

"How do I become a dealer?"

"You commit in the first year and in each subsequent year to buying $5000 worth of gear from us. You satisfy us as to your credit-worthiness, and you are not in direct competition with a pre-existing dealer."

"I run a resort operation in a country with high import taxes which would push my prices too high to sell more than a few computers. But being a resort I quite often get customers who need a replacement battery, much more often in fact than a regular LDS."

"Sorry, you need to satisfy our minimum requirements to be a dealer. Otherwise I can't help you." This one delivered with the air of a schoolmaster who has just told off a naughty child.

IMO their business model is plain wrong. So is their technical judgement, as there's no reason why a Stinger would be more prone to leaking than a Mosquito. Rather round the other way, as the Stinger case is more rigid. Yet anyone can change a Mosquito battery.

Nice attitude! Nothing nicer than being treated like a naughty school boy - makes you feel like you must haven been having fun by accident. I guess Suunto are a strong brand (certainly as a novice, they were by far the most visible to me) and so dictate their terms but I agree, seems like a bad business model - is there any conceivable technical reason why it might be necessary to send a Stinger back for a battery? Not that I know anything about this, but there's nowhere obivous to even start for disassembling my Stinger. Oh, and it looks nice too :)

Computer failure - have a backup, it's not that expensive.
Here is what both my wife and I use.

JV0010-08E.jpg

I love my Suuntos, but I sure don't love that poor attitude you described. Too bad.

My wife has a Mosquito, I have a Stinger, and now a D9. But I live in the US, so its very easy to bring it to my LDS and have them ship it to Suunto. When I bought the D9 it even came with coupons for 2 free battery changes. I think I still have to pay for shipping, though.

Mr U, how long does it normally take to come back so I can plan to avoid missing it on a trip? I live in the UK, but I'd guess it's have a similar turnaround time to the U.S. And for that matter, any idea how much it costs for the service/new batteries?

Mr U, how long does it normally take to come back so I can plan to avoid missing it on a trip? I live in the UK, but I'd guess it's have a similar turnaround time to the U.S. And for that matter, any idea how much it costs for the service/new batteries?

My LDS charged me $40 for a battery change. If you want "full 2-year service", which I think includes a calibration and some other "magic stuff", they charge $125. Seems pretty steep for the full service.

When I sent my Stinger in last February, it took a month to get it back (that includes shipping time). My LDS says the average time is about 3 weeks.

I've had my Stinger battery changed in both the US and the UK (I'm English). In the US the price varied but was typically around $50, plus postage. In the UK it was £40, so much more expensive. That included postage though. I was told that they change the battery (which costs just a few pence) and pressure test the computer afterwards. They didn't say that they change all the seals, but I would hope that for that amount they do. That's the O-ring at the back, plus the seals at the four buttons and the depth sensor.

If I'd known how high the maintenance cost of this device was going to be I would never have bought it. In five years' use I have just had to change the battery in my Nitek+ for the first time; I did it myself and it cost me $4. And I was without the use of the computer for maybe 20 minutes, compared with a typical loss of use of the Stinger which runs into months.

Turnaround time in the UK was about 3 weeks. I sent it not directly to Suunto but to that big place in Derby whose name I've just forgotten! But don't send it there - they told me over the phone that they did it, but when I enquired after they'd had it for a week they admitted they sent it to Suunto. Best contact Suunto and ask them. Better still, sell it and get something you can maintain.

The "just replace it before it goes low" doesn't work on some models, for example the Cochran Commander and other models indicate a "good" battery voltage when the battery is getting weak right up to the point where you enter cold water, then its voltage drops below the setpoint and the computer fails. Had this happen to an instructor friend while we were diving.

Mike

The "just replace it before it goes low" doesn't work on some models, for example the Cochran Commander and other models indicate a "good" battery voltage when the battery is getting weak right up to the point where you enter cold water, then its voltage drops below the setpoint and the computer fails. Had this happen to an instructor friend while we were diving.

Mike

Not just the Cochrans. Any computer that has a mid-level battery, in a warm atmosphere and then put in cold water has the potential for battery failure.

Haven't you ever noticed that it seems to be the coldest, rainest, snowiest day of the year when your car battery fails?

Good to know thanks! I'm amazed that the Stinger is so popular given the service ordeal and cost it needs to go through. Power of marketing I guess. Having said that, I do love my Stinger but then haven't had to do anything with it so far apart from admire it :)

Thanks for the tip re going direct to Stinger, Peter.

Now, I know this is going to sound spooky, and it's possible it was my lack of attention earlier, but my battery is now showing 3 bars as opposed to Max yesterday. Is this an example of observation affecting the experiment? :)

Thinking about leaving it til it gets to two bars before sending it off. I don't normally dive in cold water (although just about to start, if one considers 15C cold) so hoping that it won't go from a 75% reading to 0% when 30m in the sludge with 1m viz.

So know it's going to happen now :)

Back
Top Bottom