Dead computer - No backup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No I don't, but I have a reasonable idea what effect my nitrogen loading will have on me, and how that will be reduced by a surface interval. I'm not contemplating doing a series of dives without a computer or something equivalent, just finishing the dive I'm on when it goes south on me.

Well the real issue is tracking you residual nitrogen loading. This is particularly important in a multi dive multi day trip. If you don't know this in when doing multiple dives, you can easily exceed your no-deco limit.......

Do you calculate your repetitive dive group on every dive with a computer? If you don't know this at the start of a dive, then a SPG, depth gauge and clock are not a backup.
If I know that I was within NDL on all of my previous dives, I simply assume that I surfaced in Pressure Group Z on the PADI RDP and go from there. The additional SI time required for assuming pressure group Z is not as great as one might assume before actually looking at the table.

This method does NOT require me to keep track of repetitive groups --- only to know that I stayed within NDL on my previous dive.

What the problem is today is that most rely too much on computers (technology).

I remember the good old days of diving with a J tank watch and depth gauge. Still did deep multilevel dives utilizing the Graver method (paper published 1976 based on USN Tables of 6 tissue groups. Whilst this method is not by any means fool proof and need it can give you have a very good indication of what you are able to do. As stated in a previous post (Multilevel Diving) this practice was used before computers became common place. Of course it is all theoretical and requires good knowledge of the tables. We need to be cognizant of the fact that technology is merely a tool to assist us and we should continue to use our brain.

On occasion I have had computers fail as well, but the key is not to panic and ascend slowly to 15 feet and finish the dive of there with remaining air available (make sure some is left in the tank (30-50 bar). IMHO it is fool hardy to just strap on another computer and continue diving for the day.

As there is no way possible to accurately track your predicted N2 uploading unless you have a instrument which will accurately record your depths and times so IMHO its a wise call by operators to have you call it quits for the day and continue the next being more conservative. After all we all want the them to conduct their operations in a safe and informed manner...don't we??

Some People laughed at me when I went and bought a Suunto Gekko. I use a Cobra 2 integrated computer as my main and dive with the Gekko as well. I always dive with a buddy and plan my/our dives. My thought was if my main computer goes out, of course I end the dive. With my back up computer ( Gekko ) I can at least ascend and do all my safety stops with no worries even with my buddy. I can use my second computer for the rest of my dives with a back up anaolog pressure gauge. This makes sure I am within the upload and download of nitrogyen things will need to do. Still as I have said I do not rely totally on my computer. I double check with my RDP and make sure i am well withim my limits.

Back
Top Bottom