"Dead & Co" playing in Playa Dec 15th-18th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't seen them since about 1992, although I did see Bobby play with Chris Robinson & Jackie Greene. That was a lot of fun.

I just noticed that most of the former members of The Grateful Dead will be playing in Playa Dec 15th thru 18th.

I was a huge fan of the Dead back before Jerry died....since then not so much, and anyway definitely not interested in paying $3,000-$4,000 to see them play. Doesn't really matter as the shows and related resorts are sold out!I

Evidently they are playing on the beach....presumably they somehow fence-off the area where the concert is held? I'm surprised resorts are allowed to restrict access to the beach....guess they couldn't stop someone for anchoring a boat or kayak just offshore and listening to the show??

The concert is held at the Barcelo Maya resort, which is a massive complex with very tight security of their own, plus with a natural rockscape border that makes it virtually impossible to sneak across the beach. Likewise, the coast is such that it isn't advisable to have a boat out there as it is rather shallow for a long distance out with of course cresting waves and rocks. You could, of course, hear the show off the coast easily, but you won't see the stage. The bands bring two light crews with them, one for the stage and one for the water.

Below is a photo from Phish last year at the same venue. Great fun to listen to these bands at the beach with waiters bringing you unlimited margaritas, cerveza and tacos! My business partner has some involvement in these music concerts they are bringing down to Playa del Carmen - Phish, Dead and Co, String Cheese, Widespread Panic, etc. Watch for something in Cozumel in 2019 :wink:

12549064_10208435943161368_2902331238140822729_n.jpg

Thx 4 the info Sloeber. I assumed that they must have somehow made it difficult for people to sneak-in, now I know and won't put any more thought into the idea. Oh well, no great loss...

Of more interest to me would be "Strings and Sol" being held at the Now Saphire Dreams resort in Puerto Morelos Dec 8th-12th. Railroad Earth, Greensky Bluegrass, Infamous Stringdusters and others are playing, but it too is sold out & presumably hard to get close enough to enjoy.

Who knew there were so many rich hippies around?!?

I just got back from the show. It was great! I still miss Jerry but Mayer did a great job. High point for me: China Cat > Rider. Biggest surprises: St Stephen and Dark Star.

Saw the Phish at the Barcelo the past two years. Amazing events. Couldn't be better really.

If you are way into a band that is playing there.... I HIGHLY recommend.

I just got back from the show. It was great! I still miss Jerry but Mayer did a great job. High point for me: China Cat > Rider. Biggest surprises: St Stephen and Dark Star.

How were St Stephen and Dark Star? If they were good, it be worth the price of admission. Did they segue between the two?

How were St Stephen and Dark Star? If they were good, it be worth the price of admission. Did they segue between the two?
Here's the setlist: Dead & Company Setlist at Frank Erwin Center, Austin

I had never been that up about St. Stephen before; I guess that's because I identify it with the sort of lame (by comparison) version of it on the Skeletons studio album. The live performance I saw, however, turned my head around. Both St. S and Dark Star rocked the house, as did the whole show, IMO. The price of admission was pretty steep (we don't get great shows for 4 bucks any more), but it was worth every penny.

Did they play the show last night? Jon Mayer had emergency surgery (appendicitis) a few days ago and they had to cancel some shows.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom