DDT dump off Los Angeles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OTF

Coney Island Whitefish Biologist
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Not sure if this has been posted or discussed here before. LA times has done some excellent reporting on this. An atrocity. Worth a read.

How the waters off Catalina became a DDT dumping ground

New article on dump site being even bigger: Stunning DDT dump site off L.A. coast much bigger than scientists expected

Even more disturbing, this is not an isolated incident. I know for a fact there are similar barrel dumps of various chemicals off New York, Maine, and Massachusetts, some of which even contain nuclear material dumped by the military.

The Gulf of Mexico has similar dump sites where chemical nerve agents and explosives were dumped. Devices have been pulled up in deep water trawls here with a few injuries from touching the chemicals. If I can find the article I'll post it. It's amazing what was dumped in the oceans.

"The solution to pollution is dilution" was the old way of thinking...we know better now, doesn't mean we act better, we just know better.

Just wait until all the expired electric vehicle batteries start being dumped into the oceans.

I once read about the munitions and poison gas that was dumped into the oceans after the WW1, it was absolutely incredible how much was dumped

Had it not been for the Clean Water Act instituted in the 1970's we likely would have an earth that looks like the other planets in our solar system.... Things are royally screwed up on this blue ball....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom