Dcs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, I never said I was good at diving. I know that there are tons of holes in my knowledge. I used to think that it was enough but NOW I know better. This is a warning to beginners, not an excuse for my behaviour. I've paid the price and when lying at the hospital I've already told myself a thousand times how stupid I am. After those consequenses you can be sure that I'm not going to make those mistakes again!

Years before I started diving some girl posted a story on a forum about her DCS. She had made tons of mistakes, some of them were that she went way too deep. I never forgot the story and when I was lying in the hospital I kept thinking that if she survived without permanent damages, so could I. By admiting her mistakes and posting them I could keep my spirit up through mine.

I got my AOW in Thailand so yes i was certified before South Africa. In South Africa I joined a group of AOW students though. "The South African way of diving" was a clumpsy generalisation and was probably just the new enviromnent and the style of that specific group. I was diving in Umkomaas and living in Pretoria.

Thanks again for the posts!
Matilda

Matilda,

Please do not misinterpret my post as an attack on you, I think it is honourable to openly talk of one's mistakes for the purpose of better understanding of others and for discussion such as this.

I suspected that you may have travelled to Jo-burg or Pretoria. The scary thing is that the elevation (Above Mean Sea Level) there is about 5000' which is more than half way to the normal cabin pressure altitude of 8000' in a commercial airline (read: no-fly). I am sure this would have a significant effect on your body after the incident anyway.

I appreciate this thread and you for starting it, I will certainly be aware that not to "merely accept" a GP's response to my suspected DCS but will rather seek out DAN and/or dive doctor advice.

Thanks again
Richard

Welcome to the board, Tildi...

Sorry to hear of your experience. Glad to hear you survived it physically unscathed.

You've apparently already been slapped on the back of your hand here, and I've no doubt you have a new set of personal rules to live by, which is a good thing. Learning the hard way has its advantages (especially if you survive the lesson :wink: ).

I'd venture a guess that there isn't a single diver on this board that hasn't ratcheted up their skill set by learning what *not* to do first hand at one time or another... so you're not exclusive.

You already know your takeaways. If it was me, my priorities would be:
1- Get checked for a PFO (the DCS hit seemed a bit heavy)
2- DAN membership, and insurance
3- Refresh your dive planning skills

Again, welcome, and dive safely...

Hi, it is good that you are safe and sound. I would take TSandM's advise and get yourself checked out. If the doctor clears you, hop back into the water and enjoy your diving.

I appreciate your nervousness however the way I look at it, you had an accident/incident. Learn from it and carry on. Get further or brush up on your training and seek to not repeat past errors.

I also keep this in mind, if you were to get into a motor vehicle accident, would you never get back into a car? If you were on a bus and it crashed would you never get on a bus? And the list can go on.

Some accidents you can prevent from happening and others you can't as you may have no control over the events. Prevent where you can (training) and hope for the best where you can't and enjoy your life and diving. Don't live in a protective bubble. I know people that do and they are scared of everything and won't do anything adventurous as they might get hurt, very depressing.

Take care and until the next dive.

Back
Top Bottom