DCS incident analysis requested

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spoon:
i meant safety stops. i will usually beging my ascent slowly, air permitting but usually if i dont exceed 100ft then i just ascend at a normal rate and do my safety stops at 1 min 30', 1 min 20", 1 min 10"

You think that is better than a slow ascent to a 3 to 5 min 15 ft SS? What I try to do is 1 minute half depth SS and then 3 to 5 15ft SS. Are they the same or is one safer than the other?

PADI teaches 1 minute at half depth?

If not, who did teach you that?

jonnythan:
PADI teaches 1 minute at half depth?

If not, who did teach you that?

Not sure if they now recommend it but I read that a few yers ago in a few of the dive publications/magazines and it makes sense to me. its' not a new concept.

pilot fish:
I don't think hiking or running a few miles pre-dive is safe. You might get away with it a dozen times but it might bite you one day.

Hmmm... let's not forget that excercise is relative, is it not?

While a 3 mile jog may near kill some out-of-shape person, a marathon runner will hardly break a sweat.

Let's stick to something more general: excercise within 4 hours preceeding a dive should be kept to at most a moderate intensity.

Of course I'm really not sure how to define moderate intensity. Personally, I try not to run right before a dive. I'd just rather not risk it. But then I only dive once a week, not several times a week. Those people who dive quite often need to fit some exercise in their schedule somehow.

- ChillyWaters

Let's stick to something more general: excercise within 4 hours preceeding a dive should be kept to at most a moderate intensity.]]]chillywaters

Sounds fair. I think MODERATE is key. You make a good point that what is moderate for one person might be strenuos for another. I think if you are going to dive that day skip the jog.

Back
Top Bottom