DCS in my OW checkout dives.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JimmyA24

Reaction score
Last year I took my open water diving course and got DCS Type II on my 3rd dive of the course. I also had some problems after dive 1 & 2. To make it simple, I am going to list the events that took place and during these dives and then ask my questions.

Dive 1 & 2 profiles were 40 ft. for 40 min. 1 hour surface interval and 39ft for 40 min. a safety stop was done @ 15 feet for 3 minutes. I did the dives in the morning. I had to rush to make the boat and did not get the chance to eat or get some water so I was dehydrated. After the dive I was feelng tired and my only priority was to get home for some food. after eating, I was feeling extremely tired and dropped asleep very early. The next day I was feeling light headed and weak. I had a cloudy like feeling in my head. I called my instructor and he said "Don't worry about it. you probably just got tired" The symptoms continued for about 4 days and then it got better but not gone. I was still getting the headaches and feeling light headed. It improved a lot when I drink coffee. The symptoms almost go away completely when I drink coffee. which led me to believe that this was a low blood pressure problem. Two weeks after those dives, I did Dive 3. it was 50 feet for about 30 min. Upon surfacing, I was feeling very tired. So tired that I had doughts about being able to get to the boat in the rough seas ( 4 foot seas) The wetsuit was very tight and I was having trouble breathing. As soon as I got to the boat I was feeling nauises and was hypervantilating. I was taken to the local chamber and was treated for DCS type II. The symptoms I had were: headeache/feeling weak. and tingling in the right side of my face and both hands. After treatment symptoms seemed to have improved and about ten days after the treatment. I was 100% again.

Here is my questions:

It is been about 14 months, and I am thinking of going back to diving??? What steps can I take to make sure I can dive again before trying it again?

On the first 2 dives, Was it DCS that caused the light headedness?

Could it be that my body doen't tolerate N2 buildup?? I am a 25 year old male 5'11" 163 lbs and in great shape.

I would like to try diving again but I don't want to risk injury. Personally, I am not sure if I really got DCS or not. I thought DCS symptoms included joint pain??Any info is greatly appreciated and Thank you for your time!

Jimmy

JimmyA24:
snipped

Here is my questions:

It is been about 14 months, and I am thinking of going back to diving??? What steps can I take to make sure I can dive again before trying it again?

On the first 2 dives, Was it DCS that caused the light headedness?

Could it be that my body doen't tolerate N2 buildup?? I am a 25 year old male 5'11" 163 lbs and in great shape.

I would like to try diving again but I don't want to risk injury. Personally, I am not sure if I really got DCS or not. I thought DCS symptoms included joint pain??Any info is greatly appreciated and Thank you for your time!

Jimmy

You have to get tested for PFO if you have not yet. Anyone who gets Type 2 with these benign profiles should not get in the water before ruling PFO out

There have been many threads here discussing PFO, so please do a search and read on that first before getting back to water

I agree with Vlada, ruling out a PFO is very important.

Having said that, this doesn't sound like a textbook DCS hit to me the way you describe it. I wonder if it's not something else.....

R..

I'm no Doc so don't consider this a diagnosis but personally I don't think it sounds like DCS.

Not a doctor, or qualified person to comment. But since when has that stopped me. Get tested for PFO before going back in the water. I agree wtih the other post, if you got DCS (and it sounds like you did) from those dives, there may be an underlying cause that needs to be investigated. See a qualified dive doctor (Call DAN for a reference) and have them evaluate you.

boomx5:
It almost sounds like that poor fitting wetsuit had something to do with this.
circulation could have been affected ... but I would also research and read other posts here on generating nuclei through pre or post dive activity ... but I would not expect you to have done the same amount of activity as your first set of dives ... but it is possible. I also wonder if your fill was contaminated, but since it happened to you both days and not to anyone else plus the amount of time it took to start resolving, I would tend to rule this out too. I agree that it does sound like DCS even though your profiles were relatively mild. And as you noted, make sure you stay well hydrated and rested. The coffee comment is interesting since that is something you should not be drinking. It would be great if we could get a lot of comments from some diving physicians on this one.

patent foramen ovale

I think the board has a limitation to not search on words 3 characters or less unless it's on a list, probably this one should be added.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom