DCS & free-diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A diver after making a No "D" dive off Panama City continued to spear fish on breathhold after (during his surface interval) this gentlemen was a Navy diver and would frequently go to 100 fsw for a minute or two and spearfish while freediving.

The hit was a severe type II and due to the length of transit to the chamber (about two hours) the symptoms were never completely resolved.

The factors of rapid ascent on disolved nitrogen and additional nitrogen loading must both be considered in a case like this...

Jeff Lane

From Rodale's

Tanya Streeter shatters men's and women's free-diving records.

"The records are unimportant to me," Tanya Streeter says when congratulated on her latest accomplishment as a free diver. "It's very much a personal journey for me. The event was so incredible, I'm just glad the dive lived up to it."

The dive Streeter referes to is her record-setting no-limits dive to 525 feet, breaking both the women's (446 feet) and men's (505 feet) world records. On August 17, in the waters off Providenciales in the Turks & Caicos, Streeter took in one breath of air and rode a weighted sled deeper into the ocean than anyone had before.

Just beofre the attempt, Streeter clamped her Walkman over her head, shutting out the rest of the world, including all the media who had crowded on the boat. "I'm not nervous about the dive, but I do try to block out distractions because I want it to be perfect," Streeter says.

Conditions, however, weren't perfect. As Streeter got into the water, the ocean was anything but bathtub-calm. Three-foot swells slammed her. "The ocean was loud and noisy and choppy," she recalls. "But as soon as I got down, it was like a big blue void."

Reaching her mark, she paused, blew a kiss to the coean, then opened the inflate valve on a lift bag to begin her ascent. The dive took three minutes, 26 seconds to complete.

"There is no other sport in the world where a woman has surpassed a man in setting a world record," Streeter says. "I didn't know that until some of the meida people on the boat told me. I thought, 'Dang, that's pretty good.'"

AUDREY MESTRE DIES IN RECORD ATTEMPT

As RSD went to press, we learned that French free diver Audrey Mestre died attempting to set a new no-limits free diving world record of 557.7 feet. It was unclear what went wrong on the Oct 12 dive off Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, but safety divers brought Mestre to the surface nine minutes, 44 seconds after she began her attempt. An initial autopsy report found drowning to be the caused of death, but the cause of the accident is still under investigation. Mestre is survived by her husband, Francisco "Pipin" Ferreras, also a free diver.

Thanks, I should ask; what is the source for this report? Do you know the chain of custody of the information? The dive community is rife with collection points which report and re-report such information. Such an incident could very well be authentic, of course.

The point of freediving after SCUBA is to get in some diving time and exercise while off gassing and before heading home. This generally implies a period of shallow diving following a deep (SCUBA) dive. I know this is in dispute, but I firmly believe in the rule of deep dive first, followed on with shallow dives. In this regard, I think we can make a legitimate rule of no 100 feet free dives after SCUBA diving. Is it therefore sensible to make a general prohibition as a general rule? Only if one is in the business of telling divers what not to do, which seems to be pretty much everything. IMO, of course.

As you may have guessed, I was treated for paralysis three years ago following a 100 foot SCUBA dive. Immediately prior, I had been freediving, 4 hours wet, depths to 60 feet. I later calculated my repetitive dive group to be somewhere in the C or D range (Navy table). The computer did not know this since it wasn't there during the free dives. As I entered the sea with an air tank, the computer thought I was starting the first dive of the day.

Going back to 1987, I heard that a friend, one of our champion freedivers, Dennis Okada-- was in hospital. (Dennis was, incidentally, one of those on the 1983 trip to Guadalupe where Terry Maas shot the world record Bluefin). When I got to Oahu I found him in a wheel chair, permanent parapalegic. He got the bends after a 120 foot SCUBA dive, preceded by some deep freediving. This is when I should have started making a connection but didn't. I'm more interested now, but not hysterical, and always skeptical.

The incident occured while I was attending a course at the Naval Diving and Salvage Training Center.

The casualty was an active duty instructor at the school at the time. He was a Navy Chief at the time and was released from active duty shortly afterword due to the injury.

The chamber log at the dive school records all incidents although I am not sure about distibution restrictions.

The incident occured in 1995-1996

Of course I would agree with you as far as shallow SCUBA diving after deep diving, the problem associated with free diving especially deep freediving after diving has to do for the most part with the rapid ascent rate.

Jeff Lane

pescador775 once bubbled...
Thanks, I should ask; what is the source for this report?

It is from the 12/02 copy of Rodale's SCUBA Diving

EDIT: Ooops...I didn't read "Jeff" in the subject line, so I assumed this was directed at me. Oh well

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom