DCS first aid with perfluorodecalin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Iknee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I know there has been a lot of research into using perfluorodecalin or other perfluorocarbons to treat trauma victims, with much success. It is my understanding that this is due to the perfluorcarbon molecule being 1/40th the size of a red blood cell, allowing it to travel into damaged tissue that block or hinder red blood cells. Although this is good news for trauma victims, I have a few questions in relation to DCS.

1- Could PCD be a part of DCS first aid, injected directly into the bloodstream by trained crew?

2- Can PCD offgas nitrogen at a faster rate?

3- Would being treated with PCD and breathing pure oxygen after a hit cause problems?

To my knowledge (and this was not changed by today's searches) perfluorocarbons have been looking for a role in practical medicine for a long time, without finding it.

However, in searching this morning, I did find this paper regarding their use in DCS in swine: Aviat Space Environ Med.
2010 Jun;81(6):555-9.
Intravenous perfluorocarbon after onset of decompression sickness decreases mortality in 20-kg swine.

Mahon RT, Watanabe TT, Wilson MC, Auker CR.

Their results were favorable. It's a 2010 paper, so I'd be surprised if anyone else has duplicated or refuted their results yet.

Edited to add that a search of the very useful Rubicon Research Repository files returned a whole raft of papers on the topic, although the one I cited above appears to be the most recent.
http://archive.rubicon-foundation.org/xmlui/search?query=perfluorocarbons+decompression&submit=Go

It's being investigated for use in subarine escape situations as well. It's not that the molecule is smaller, it's that PFCs have an enormous capacity to absorb gases. One potential issue in their use for diving injuries is that oxygen dissolves extremely well into PFCs, which may increase the risk for oxygen toxicity during subsequent hyperbaric treatment.
Great question!
Best,
DDM

TS&M,

Thanks for the article and link, plenty to keep me busy for a while. I enjoy reading papers, but I also enjoy the research that doesnt make it to publication (proposed or underway). I wish there could also be summaries of research that was discontinued with the reasons why. I appreciate your time!

DDM,

Thanks for your response. I was wondering if it would increase oxygen toxicity...you answered that. Biology is the "dark side" for me, and I am always trying to see if there is any research I can crossover (material science / nanotech).

Speaking if subs... Have you seen the Colombian concrete sub? I wonder if it will start a trend and replace the concrete canoe competition!

Look for some research on this subject by Drs. Ivan Demchenko, Barry Allen and colleagues to be published soon. Dr. Demchenko is using a rat model to investigate the effect of PFCs on blood flow to the brain and oxygen toxicity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom