DCS Autohealing and later Detection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The difficulty in diagnosing DCS does lead to paranoia about it. If you call DAN and tell them you have a runny nose three weeks after a dive they may well tell you to get to a chamber immediately.

When I did my AOW class the activity level in and out of the water was way beyond what I was accustomed to in a single weekend. Monday morning I needed several cups of coffee to get moving and I experienced minor symptoms such as tingling in the left arm with no actual pain. I called DAN and they told me to get to a chamber to be safe.

Did I have DCS? No one can really say. Anxiety and exhaustion are probably more likely. The valium I was given before entering the extremely small test tube shaped chamber could easily have been more therapeutic than the chamber itself.

In Cozumel the following year I had a similar problem and went to talk to a dive Doc by the name of Victor Morales MD. He did an exam, declared me fine and suggested I take the rest of the afternoon off. Did a lot to ease my concerns.

These days I avoid diving under stressful situations. I exercise more and avoid caffeine before and after dive days. I use nitrox on air tables and never do more than two dives a day. Seldom go below 60 ft.

The health improvements that I have made so I can dive probably far outweigh risks of diving.

Brian, I know what you mean... a friend of mine is in med school... and he freaks out about everything! :lol:

Well... now that I know a little more about DCS and how to avoid unnecessary risks... I intend to change my weekend diving habits... Nitrox on the last day of diving, extended SITs before driving home, lots of water... and increase my aerobic program during the week (just from Tuesdays to Thrusdays)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom