DCS Autohealing and later Detection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xagudo

Reaction score
Hi,
I´d like to know if it is possible to have a mild case of DCS that would pass unnoticed and go away naturally. If so, does this present a danger when diving again? Would a "dive wise" doctor detect this unnoticed "healed" case of DCS at a later checkup? Thanks in advanced for your replies...

X

Hello xagudo:

Subclinical DCS

Probably most scuba dives will produce some growth in a few tissue micronuclei if the dive is anywhere near the NDLs. These bubbles do not persist for very long and one would not speak of it as decompression sickness. At very best, one would say that the diver had “silent bubbles” and possibly “silent DCS”. (“Silent” is an older medical term for subclinical. )

Missed DCS

Another matter altogether is undiagnosed DCS. In this case, the diver simply is not aware of the nature of the problem. Many divers are not cognizant of the fact that DCS does not always result in a very intense pain. There are cases where pain could be very mild and the diagnosis is in doubt. In the laboratory, we have the advantage of Doppler U/S monitoring and the ability to perform a “test of pressure.”

With a mild pain, the DCS could remit in time and the diver might not be aware that something untoward occurred. This event will not produce any damage if it is only pain in a joint (“the bends”). It does indicate that one might be one of the more susceptible individuals, since people are known to vary in their susceptibility to DCS and this probably reflects variability in bubble formation and growth.

Neurological DCS

A considerably more difficult problem is that of missed neurological DCS. Here we have an instance of possible denial or a possible misattribution (“I just bumped my elbow.”) These neurological problems could indicate that nerve damage is occurring; the return to normal function could be slow. A reoccurrence of the problem could leave the diver with a permanent deficit. It is for this reason that divers are always encouraged to seek medical advice and possible hyperbaric oxygen treatment.

While scuba diving is a relatively safe activity, mishaps can and do occur. Just as one would be foolish to deny the possibility of an auto vehicle mishap and not wear a safety belt, so it would be foolhardy to ignore the signs of DCS and skip hyperbaric therapy. An individual with training in neurological problems could diagnose a missed case of DCS in some instances.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Am i reading this corectly?
you could have a mild case of dcs 1 and it will work its way out?

landfish:
Am i reading this corectly?
you could have a mild case of dcs 1 and it will work its way out?

YES

I'm very much convinced that many divers at sometime in their diving days experience Type I DCS that goes untreated, and some more than once.

The signs & sympoms eventually disappear and it would very unlikely that any physical evidence of the event would be found on a subsequent medical evaluation.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

doc vikingo
i dont like to admit it but i do aggree with you and this topic and asked the question that way just to see if i was right.
i would have to say that has happened to me.

Ok, just want to clarify something about the symptoms of DCS... I have an ache in my shoulder... by my collar-bone. I went diving the weekend before, and it seemed to have appeared two days after. I might've just slept the wrong way or something... it's really mild, and doesn't seem to impair my movement, or strength... feels more like a sore muscle after a workout, but not nearly as painful. Just wondering if I'm just being paranoid.

jplacson:
Ok, just want to clarify something about the symptoms of DCS... I have an ache in my shoulder... by my collar-bone. I went diving the weekend before, and it seemed to have appeared two days after. I might've just slept the wrong way or something... it's really mild, and doesn't seem to impair my movement, or strength... feels more like a sore muscle after a workout, but not nearly as painful. Just wondering if I'm just being paranoid.
It could be nothing, or it could be somthing. You should call a compentent professional like DAN, even if you are not a member and discuss it with them. You owe it to yourself to have it checked out by a professional immediatly.

When I got DCI, it was about 2 days after the dive that I finally acknowledged the vauge ache in my ankle was not a twisted ankle but was in fact getting worse. Profile said I should not be bent, but no body told my body that and I was. The pain at first was very mnor, and if busy, you would not even notice it. That changed over time. This was my experience, yours may vary.

DISCLAIMER: Not a doctor or a sane person, just a diver.

Thanks... I just want to collect as much info as possible... better safe than sorry, but I don't want to become some paranoid wreck either.

Like, I'd like to know how the DCS 'itch' feels... or the pins & needles feeling... I mean, sit the wrong way, and your leg could easily fall alseep... I just want to know the difference between everyday sensations, and the real thing.

Back
Top Bottom