DCS and no DAN - WHAT NEXT?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rambo2

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am a new diver and I am a member of DAN. I started thinking, what happens to a diver that is not a member of DAN and uninsured that shows signs of DCS after a dive. What can be expected of the DM or LDS? Do you sign a dozen forms agreeing to pay whatever to whomever and get med evacuated or do they leave you on the beach? What if you are unconscious? (not a discussion on why have insurance - just what would happen if you don't.)

No way to answer your question without knowing where your hypothetical DCS hit occurred.

In many third world counties, where a lot of diving happens, the answer would likely be "sucks for you." If you can't pay, or even prove you can pay, for your medical care, you don't get any. That's a key reason for DAN insurance, even if your first world medical plan would cover you. With DAN, the chamber folks know they'll get paid. With your plan that they have never heard of and which exists in a country far away from them, they'll want cash up front.

As far as being unconscious, there's a reason why the dive op and/or your dive buddies should know that you have DAN coverage and how to get your DAN info.

Someone calls an ambulance and you go where they take you. If you are in a modern world country you maybe lucky. But if you are in a third world country you are up the proverbial creek without a paddle. Any DM or LDS that you were diving with will make the 911 call if even to avoid the bad publicity or even a lawsuit. But the bill is on you. And those can get VERY expensive. B.

I am a new diver and I am a member of DAN. I started thinking, what happens to a diver that is not a member of DAN and uninsured that shows signs of DCS after a dive. What can be expected of the DM or LDS? Do you sign a dozen forms agreeing to pay whatever to whomever and get med evacuated or do they leave you on the beach? What if you are unconscious? (not a discussion on why have insurance - just what would happen if you don't.)

In the US or Canada and most countries with a modern health care system, you would call emergency services and someone would probbaly take you to a hospital and if you're lucky, the hospital would have some idea what to do, and might have a chamber (or not). If they're not familiar with treating diving accidents, you might get a couple of aspirin and sent home.

In tropical or remote locations, iIf you don't have a DAN card, a Visa card is also typically accepted, if it has a lot of available credit, and that's assuming there's even a chamber available.

Other than that, "It sucks to be you"

Evacuation is a complete crap-shoot, and requires another bucket full of money, if you can even arrange it.

No way to answer your question without knowing where your hypothetical DCS hit occurred.

In many third world counties, where a lot of diving happens, the answer would likely be "sucks for you." If you can't pay, or even prove you can pay, for your medical care, you don't get any. That's a key reason for DAN insurance, even if your first world medical plan would cover you. With DAN, the chamber folks know they'll get paid. With your plan that they have never heard of and which exists in a country far away from them, they'll want cash up front.

As far as being unconscious, there's a reason why the dive op and/or your dive buddies should know that you have DAN coverage and how to get your DAN info.

For my hypothetical I am somewhere that requires an expensive med evac. I am unconscious and the dive op knows I am not a DAN member. What does he do?

Rather than start a second thread: Are there cases of post dive death due to denial of treatment for financial reasons?

In Norway everyone has a right to emergency care. This includes ambulance/airambulance and emergency treatment. This care will be provided on indication, for free to Scandinavians, and EU/EØS-citicens provided they have the European Health Card. For all others, the bill will follow afterwards.

Unfortunately... this is not the case for most of the rest of the world.

For my hypothetical I am somewhere that requires an expensive med evac. I am unconscious and the dive op knows I am not a DAN member. What does he do?

Look though your wallet to see who your next-of-kin is?

Really, I'm not sure what you're looking for. In many locations, "no money" = "no treatment".

Rather than start a second thread: Are there cases of post dive death due to denial of treatment for financial reasons?

1 - What does he do ? He prays for you.
2 - Are there cases of denial . . . ., etc. ? It's not the denial, it's the "what should we do, where should we take him because he doesn't have DAN". If you have DAN, it's a no brainer for all involved. You're already half way to treatment because you have it. It's the best $100 you've ever spent on insurance. Not to mention, you can buy it RIGHT NOW on the DAN website or you can call them 24/7 and ask all the questions you want. I'll sum it up by saying I'd rather spend $100 a year for DAN, instead of a $50,000 medical bill from an island in the Caribbean. Just sayin'

It's the best $100 you've ever spent on insurance.

You can get simple DAN dive accident insurance for only $30 a year.

I'm pretty sure I've seen a few threads on scubaboard about some chambers not taking DAN. It's been in the back of my mind ever since I read about it.

Edit:

I found it, it was a link to an article on undercurrent.

Says that at least in the past, chambers in the Bahamas, Belize, Cozumel and the Galapagos wouldn't take DAN because DAN wasn't actually paying the bill like they were supposed to. No idea if they still won't take DAN.

The Disappearing Recompression Chamber: Undercurrent 09/2013

1 - What does he do ? He prays for you.
2 - Are there cases of denial . . . ., etc. ? It's not the denial, it's the "what should we do, where should we take him because he doesn't have DAN". If you have DAN, it's a no brainer for all involved. You're already half way to treatment because you have it. It's the best $100 you've ever spent on insurance. Not to mention, you can buy it RIGHT NOW on the DAN website or you can call them 24/7 and ask all the questions you want. I'll sum it up by saying I'd rather spend $100 a year for DAN, instead of a $50,000 medical bill from an island in the Caribbean. Just sayin'

In some places in the world, it will also be "what is DAN"? You can expect to pay up front and have your insurer reimburse you later. The good news is that medical care tends to be affordable outside North America. Evacuation though, is always expensive, and no one is going to automatically evacuate an unconscious victim. It's not a denial of services, it's a lack of the service.

Chambers willing to treat diver injuries aren't very common, even in the US. If your expectation is that the LDS will get you to a chamber, you should choose a destination near a treatment center that offers a chamber.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom