DCS and no DAN - WHAT NEXT?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This thread brings up something I've been thinking about in regards to the "unconscious diver". When I joined DAN and received a couple of stickers with my paperwork, I wrote my DAN # on the bottom of the stickers and applied them to my tanks and 1 on the back of my dive computer in the hopes that someone would find that info if it was ever required in a situation where I could not provide it. Last week I was able to dive on the Kittiwake and was issued a small tag to attach to my BC, and immediately thought that this is something that DAN should do. Issue a small tag that can be attached to a divers BC with the critical info for contacting them and ID# of the diver. It wouldn't take long before this tag system would be widely recognized and all dive related personnel would know to look for it when encountering a diver that requires medical assistance.
I'm not certain that my policy # that is written on my sticker is safe from fraudulent use, but I like to pretend that divers are a good, honest bunch of people, although another thread I read this morning indicates that is not always true.

Dan did make tags that had your name and member# on the front, on the back it has a lot of your medical info I have one but not sure if they still make them.
I myself will never dive without DAN insurance. I know when diving in the Maldives if you don't have DAN insurance before your liveaboard leaves they make a copy of the credit card you would use if anything happens. They told us with DAN insurance you go right into the chamber, without it they run your card for $5000 to start with and go from there.

This thread brings up something I've been thinking about in regards to the "unconscious diver". When I joined DAN and received a couple of stickers with my paperwork, I wrote my DAN # on the bottom of the stickers and applied them to my tanks and 1 on the back of my dive computer in the hopes that someone would find that info if it was ever required in a situation where I could not provide it. Last week I was able to dive on the Kittiwake and was issued a small tag to attach to my BC, and immediately thought that this is something that DAN should do. Issue a small tag that can be attached to a divers BC with the critical info for contacting them and ID# of the diver. It wouldn't take long before this tag system would be widely recognized and all dive related personnel would know to look for it when encountering a diver that requires medical assistance.
I'm not certain that my policy # that is written on my sticker is safe from fraudulent use, but I like to pretend that divers are a good, honest bunch of people, although another thread I read this morning indicates that is not always true.

I have taken a picture of my DAN card and the pic is stored on my camera (along with another pic with my name/address/email/phone #) which is always with me when I dive. Hopefully someone would scroll thru my pics and find it. Also, I carry my DAN card in a waterproof container that I leave on the dive boat in my dive bag.

As far as not being conscious and unable to give your DAN no. then I would imagine any way of getting an unconscious diver to a hospital is better than sitting there going oh he/she didnt say they were or were not a DAN member so I will make a decision on what to do based on that. Unconscious diver is an emergency....get them to any hospital and then go fishing through their gear and see if they have a DAN card on them - I carry mine with me all the time.
Rather DAN than nothing.
DAN Asia used to offer DAN tags to wear on BCs, different from ours but functional. It looks like they still do, and pretty cheap: DAN Divers Alert Network - Asia Pacific
DAN South Africa still offers them: DANSA Product Catalogue
DAN America stopped last year. :sad:

Wingy,

do you mean that when an American goes to an "international" location the insurance is different? Or do you instead mean that the DAN insurance purchased by someone outside of the US is different than what is purchased by a resident of the US?

I notice on the DAN website, you are asked to choose your location and are presented with USA vs Canada. It didn't occur to me that there might be issues for residents of other nations.
Your DAN America coverage is the same wherever you travel, but the Canadians have different choices. If you live outside of the US & Canada, there are other DAN organizations that are different from ours.

Dan did make tags that had your name and member# on the front, on the back it has a lot of your medical info I have one but not sure if they still make them.
I myself will never dive without DAN insurance. I know when diving in the Maldives if you don't have DAN insurance before your liveaboard leaves they make a copy of the credit card you would use if anything happens. They told us with DAN insurance you go right into the chamber, without it they run your card for $5000 to start with and go from there.
I have the yellow on on my BC, but they are no longer available. You could put the info on dog tags available at many sites on the net, tie one to your BC, wear the other from your neck. I also have my DAN info on a dog tag I wear every day, anytime I leave the house, along with emergency contacts.

It would be nice to come up with a nice, new plastic tag like the other countries tho. I think the ones you illustrated were too pricey for most, but it doesn't cost much to make basic cards - like credit cards, etc. :idk:

Here it's no problem as there is a chamber and socialized medicine. In the U.S. we have coverage through our Can. Blue Cross and they'll cover it. We have a big Visa limit, so that will probably be OK for 3rd World. I think the biggest advantage for having DAN would then be getting (air?) transport to a chamber if you're far afield.

As for the identification tags, I just ordered some custom "bumper stickers" with my pertinent info and stuck them to my tanks. There's lots of sites that will make you custom metal or plastic tags for a reasonable rate (my first google search turned up a site making small plastic tags for about $5 each). I think I paid around $3 for the bumper stickers.

I don't have my DAN information on there, just name and address. I hadn't even thought of that until now; it's not a bad idea.

Here it's no problem as there is a chamber and socialized medicine. In the U.S. we have coverage through our Can. Blue Cross and they'll cover it. We have a big Visa limit, so that will probably be OK for 3rd World. I think the biggest advantage for having DAN would then be getting (air?) transport to a chamber if you're far afield.
Well, I guess your BC & Visa can cover the plane. I've seen two divers leave that way, who would not have survived otherwise - and for one the jet chopper had to fly around a Cat-5 hurricane headed out way twice. I left the next day.

I've read of Canadians carrying DAN for international trips, including diving the US side of Puget or St.Lawrence. If you don't want the insurance, you can just join as members and get Travelers Assist which provides the emergency plane evacuations.

As for the identification tags, I just ordered some custom "bumper stickers" with my pertinent info and stuck them to my tanks. There's lots of sites that will make you custom metal or plastic tags for a reasonable rate (my first google search turned up a site making small plastic tags for about $5 each). I think I paid around $3 for the bumper stickers.

I don't have my DAN information on there, just name and address. I hadn't even thought of that until now; it's not a bad idea.
Traveling divers often don't take tanks. The BC is a better place I think. See if you can find us a good source for plastic info tags...??

The way insurance works, health, auto, home, renters, flood, fire, theft, DIVING, etc. it is an added expense that seems too much and a waste of money. This is so true until the day you NEED it; then it is some of the best value you have ever spent.

Just renewed my DAN insurance this morning and signed my GF up too. I would never dive wiothout DAN insurance.

---------- Post added October 23rd, 2013 at 12:27 PM ----------

I like the idea of going to PetSmart and getting two small ID tags with DAN's policy# & Phone # on them to attach to the BCDs & BP/Ws...don't care for additional stickers on tanks, its a GUE/DIR thing :)

Dive-Logs.com - Laser Engraved ScubaTags identify your Scuba equipment or gear.

pulling the trigger on these when I can coordinate a time to talk with them as they are overseas..... wish I could find something as close here in the US, but no....
:thumb: Looks good. Lots of lines for info. Cheap enough. Did you find the postage info? Overseas locations often get cheap postage to the US, even tho it may take 2-6 weeks. I order a lot that way.

I tried this place: Valve Tags
Played with info, size, colors. The $11 shipping was discouraging. :(

Custom2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom