DC1400 Has Grainy Pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spitts6654

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've had my DC1400 for several months and have only dove with it a few times and haven't been able to get a good picture out of it. I have attributed most of this to my lack of knowledge when it comes to photography. Recently I have been doing some reading and practicing with it out of the water in hopes of improving. I have done some comparisons of the DC1400 with an Cannon SD780 (12.1MP) and the DC1400 seems to produce grainer pictures than the Cannon. The macro shots look pretty clear when I can get it to focus. Anyone else have an experience with grainy pictures?

Are all of your shots grainy? What depth are you when taking your shots, just curious. I am having no issues with mine at all.

What is your ISO setting? Grainy usually equals an ISO that's too high.

It would help if you would post a photo with EXIF data included, but if you're zoomed in at all, you're going to have to have a lot of light, or a strobe, perhaps both, because the aperture opening will be small.

I have been practicing above water here lately. Macro and Super macro didn't seem too grainy, they were just bad due to poor strobe placement. It seemed like anything that I took a picture of over a few feet were grainy. I worked through several different ISO and aperture settings with no success, I'm about as amateur as it gets when it comes to photography. Unfortunately I have already deleted all of the pictures I a referring to. I just picked up another strobe and a fish eye lens. With some practice on strobe placement I was able t produce some pretty good macro shots of random objects around the house. I still wasn't impressed with shots over a few feet away. Next time I practice I'll post some pictures with the data

If you have two strobes, you want to dial the ISO down as far as you can get it before the image becomes too blurry. I generally shoot super-low ISO unless it's an ambient-light shot, in which case I'll take several shots and try to find the lowest that works. The newer Canon cams are renowned for shooting high-iso with very little (comparative) grain, you won't get the same performance with your cam.

I assume by "grain" you mean distortion of the photo itself, and not backscatter, which is particulate that is lit by your strobes and picked up by your sensor. That's fixed or mitigated by positioning your lighting off-axis with your lens, but again, it will help to see the shot and settings where you are having the problems.

-h

as others said, check the ISO and make sure your flash isnt shooting the particles in the water...... every camera shoots pretty grainy with a high ISO (some are better then others).
look at some pictures in this thread, some good examples of pictures....
as for the macro being clear when you can get it clear, i used the super macro setting a lot when i was shooting a few trips ago, and soem seahorse shots. the trick is aim the point of focus at the image and half hold shutter down. it will auto focus, if it is focusing something else, move the camera slightly and re hold down the shutter half way. some times it is a big tricky but it takes some nice pictures.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/se...w-shots-novice-my-sealife-1400-cozumel-3.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom