DC1200 sensor adjustment needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cjmuth

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a DC1200 that's about 2 years old, and when zoomed out the photos have a black area along the left side. The black area is curved, reduces and eventually goes away when I zoom in - otherwise it's works fine and the pictures are as good as ever. My guess is the sensor alignment needs to be adjusted. I contacted SeaLife, but since they don't make the DC1200 or parts any more they won't fix it.

Does anyone know where I might be able to find someone that will work on these, or other repair information (manuals, drawings, schematics, etc.)?

I'm surprised that Sealife wouldn't try to help, even tho it's out of warranty. Did you look for a firmware update?

Highly unlikely it's a firmware issue - more likely a physical misalignment based on the nature of the problem. Also it's not a warranty that kept Sealife from helping - they don't make this model any longer, nor do they make any of the parts. If I sent them my old camera they did offer to sell me a DC1400 for about what I can buy it off Amazon...

What lens are you using?

There is a rubber piece on the outer edge of the lens. Had it get knocked out of position once (I fell climbing a hill after a night dive in Greece) and it created that same effect. Gluing the rubber back in position took care of problem. You may have checked that already but if not take a look.

I had exactly this problem with my DC1200 - a big curve on the left side that didn't affect the picture quality and disappeared as it zoomed. I took it to a local repair shop where they discovered that the shutter was broken and replaced it for about $60.00. The problem had started on a dive trip & I remember dropping the camera in the housing - it didn't seem like a hard fall and there was no visible damage to the housing - but obviously sufficient to break the shutter.

I took it to a local repair shop where they discovered that the shutter was broken and replaced it for about $60.00.

What kind of local repair shop? General camera repair?

Yes -- just general camera repair. On the internet I found a local shop that specializes in camera repair, called them up & went over. The place was filled with repair orders, mostly for point-and-shoot cameras. I showed them the DC1200 and left it, got a call the next day with an estimate & picked it up a week later. It was just business as usual for them. The camera is obviously made by some mainstream company with parts readily available. Who knew ? It's still working great 100 dives later.

Back
Top Bottom