DC1200 First Time user results

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice pics. You have a great eye.

I have given this tip in other threads but will repeat it here. I would adjust your EV (exposure value) to a -2 with a SeaLife camera. I shoot a DC1000 -- the 1200 was not out when I got mine. I also adjusted the LCD screen to a -1 because it was to bright underwater. I use dual strobes and I use the manual settings. I will shoot in ambient light on light bottoms with bright sun but if I am beyond 10 feet, I am using my strobes. I am happier with the color. Also SeaLife uses a JPG format so be sure to set your pixel size as high as it will go and set the resolution as high as it will go (Super Fine on the DC1000). Set your ISO to 200 and leave it there. That will help lower noise and backscatter. If you get a chance, e-mail Cathy Church and ask her for her handouts from Beneath the Sea strobe class for point and shoots and tell her which camera you have. I found that using those settings made me 100% happier with my pictures.

Yes, that was a pole spear and yes those are lion fish. In the Atlantic, they are invasive pests. The lion fish are native to the Indo-Pacific area and have no enemies in the Atlantic and Caribbean. They are decimating entire populations of local fish including groupers, as they prey on the young and juvenile fishes. I have seen several articles in several dive magazines where the governmental authorities in the Florida Keys and the Bahamas have give divers the green light to spear lion fish on site and enjoy dinner.

If you are going to be at BTS this year, I would strongly encourage you to take Cathy Church's class on Strobes for Point and Shoot cameras. I think it's on Sunday morning. This is where I picked up a TON of info. In fact, I am sure I missed half the class, so I am taking it again because there was so much information being passed. Bring your camera because it's a hands on class.

Nice pics. You have a great eye.

I have given this tip in other threads but will repeat it here. I would adjust your EV (exposure value) to a -2 with a SeaLife camera.

You can adjust the EV setting on your DC1000 underwater?
Just wondering because I haven't figured out how to do it with a DC1200.

Nice pics jar546, I think those Yellow Goatfish and the Squirrel fish are neat!

After screwing up way to many photos and video because of WB issues I just bring along a small white piece of plastic to calibrate my white balance. Light changes all the time and this quick and dirty method seems to work. Just get the camera ready, dive to your desired depth and auto WB off the plastic and you are good to go. Recalibrate as the light or conditions dictate. I may just start wearing white shorts instead.

Pics were pretty good considering it was a first time dive with that cam. It takes time, practice and patience. Oh yeah and a strobe helps a lot. Also I have the same camera and have had success adjusting from auto to maunal mode and fiddeling with the settings. By the way great job shooting that little F*%&#$, they make great fish tacos.

@lox -- Yep -- I can do it underwater. There is a +/- button that I can adjust on the fly. On the DC1000 it's the left button on the group of 5 (4 around 1). I need to see the back of the DC1200 housing. All of that changed with the introduction of the piano keys. Sorry about the late reply. I have been travelling and diving. New pics coming soon.

@lox -- Yep -- I can do it underwater. There is a +/- button that I can adjust on the fly. On the DC1000 it's the left button on the group of 5 (4 around 1). I need to see the back of the DC1200 housing. All of that changed with the introduction of the piano keys. Sorry about the late reply. I have been travelling and diving. New pics coming soon.

Dang, Sealife removed that functionality from the DC1200 :(

Something I wish they would have kept as it's an easy way to +- a couple of F stops when your backgrounds are very light or dark.

I picked up a DC1200 over Christmas. I was planning on taking it on its maiden diving outing later this month, but I've been cornered by business instead. Gah. However, I have taken it out a couple of times to snorkel (no need to coordinate my schedule for that), and have had some good results. My prior camera was a god-awful Intova CP9, so it's a major improvement.

Back
Top Bottom